What's Wrong With This Mmf?

Decorating By victoria7310 Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 6:34pm by GenGen

victoria7310 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoria7310 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:44am
post #1 of 24

Hi,

I have had success with MMF in the past, but today decided to try Rhonda's Ultimate MMF, and it just didn't work for me. Obviously it's my fault but I have no idea what is wrong with it in order to correct it. I followed the recipe exactly but I didn't quite need in all the sugar.

These pictures are pretty terrible, but hopefully you can make out the texture problem and someone can give me some advice!

One picture is showing how it was just breaking when I was kneading it, rather than getting smooth and pliable. The other picture shows what it looked like as I was rolling it out.

Thanks for the help!
LL
LL

23 replies
mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:13am
post #2 of 24

I would say it is too dry, I would put some shortening in it but I am new at making my own MMF

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:20am
post #3 of 24

Have you tried adding a little bit of shortening to it. It may be too dry.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:21am
post #4 of 24

when u color MMF with dark colors.... that happens at times... not sure why
the other day I had to throw out a batch that I dyed purple.... I should've known better
I usually add the color before I add the PS and it works fine...
Did u add the color after is was all done?

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:29am
post #5 of 24

I agree about the dark color thing. It is hard to get the right consisitency with MMF and dark colors. I do add my color before p. sugar and that does help.

victoria7310 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:43am
post #6 of 24

I added the colour afterwards. I did try working in several globs of shortening, but it didnt seem to help. I know humidity makes a diffence and it's fairly dry here at the moment, but as it is I only used about 1 3/4 lbs of the 2lbs of sugar. How do you know when enough is enough? Is there a minimum amount you absolutely must have? It felt really good up to about 1 1/4 lbs.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:49am
post #7 of 24

it looks like it needs kneading to me, and also is it wet feeling? if its wet feeling add some corn starch to your mat....if its dry grease up your hands with crisco and knead it. hth

victoria7310 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:55am
post #8 of 24

It doesn't feel dry, it's quite tacky. It does feel very hard though.

On the upside it tastes great!

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:16am
post #9 of 24

Ohhhhh - I hate when that happens!!!! I recently had a red batch do the EXACT same thing!!!!! I did everything imaginable to try to save it - even when I thought I had fixed it (the texture was nice and smooth again), it was so stretchy and I couldn't lift it off my mat to cover my cake. I made a new batch - this time I remembered to add my red colouring before my PS, and it was perfect. I took two small, equal amounts of each batch and kneaded them together. It was perfect, so I mixed the 2 batches and saved it!!! Yay! Then, of course, I ended up with way too much red fondant, so I wrapped it and put it in the freezer for next time! HTH! Good luck to you!

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:18am
post #10 of 24

By the way, if you haven't already, PUT IT IN THE MICROWAVE!! If it's a saveable batch, that will probably do it! Just zap it at 5-15 seconds, depending on the size of it. Then knead thouroughly - be careful of the hot spots!

madgeowens Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:40am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria7310

It doesn't feel dry, it's quite tacky. It does feel very hard though.

On the upside it tastes great!

ok yeah dust your work surface with corn starch and knead it. I use her recipe only, and I love it....I have a tendancy to cover it with to much crisco, so I have cut back on that and knead it on a pad dusted often with cs....if it is real hard, I will knead it in two smaller pieces first and then put that all together, and then its softer...if you do put it in the microwave, only for about ten seconds....hope this helps

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 6:26am
post #12 of 24

I had some chocolate MMF that was acting a little this way tonight too - I microwaved it for 30 sec with a couple teaspoons of water and kneaded the heck out of it - it turned out just fine icon_biggrin.gif Good luck!!

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 7:01pm
post #13 of 24

Try adding your color when the mm's are in the melted stage. I use MacsMom's recipe with is a modified version of Rhonda's. I have always had success with that recipe.

victoria7310 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 8:34pm
post #14 of 24

I've seen lots of people talking about MacMoms re ipe but I couldn't find it, so went with Rhobda's instead. Previously I just did the standard MMF and never had a problem, but I never had to colour it so much either.

I tried to save it following all the advice here. It improved but still wasn't right. Luckily I have a tub of Red Satin Ice, so it's not the end of the world. Do you think I should try mixing some of the two together or is that too risky? The cake is for tomorrow morning, so I don't have time to start over.

Thanks guys.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoria7310 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:14am
post #16 of 24

Thanks for the link.

Everything worked out in the end. I ended up mixing 2/3 Satin Ice Red with 1/3 of the dodgy MMF and it came together beautifully.

I will try Rhonda's recipe again and MacMoms but either white or put the colour in with the melted mm's. Usually I just use the pre coloured Satin Ice when I need a strong colour. I don't know why I tried this red cake to experiment on!

Thanks for all the help. I guess I should post a picture of the finished cake! My gallery is still empty!

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 5:00am
post #17 of 24

I had this happen to me before and it was so frustrating to try fix. I have since found that if you make any colored mmf, especially dark colors, that adding corn syrup to it (1 teaspoon per batch) helps bring it all back together smoothly...now I automatically just add the corn syrup into the melted mmf everytime I color mmf.

Corn syrup and glycerine makes the mmf more pliable.

Also, don't overheat the mmf more than 2 minutes. 1 1/2 minutes is plenty enough and just keep stirring it until it's all melted. I once added an extra minute (3 mins total) where the mmf was all bubbly, added the PS into it and it wouldn't hold up...It kept cracking and breaking apart and I couldn't salvage it.

Luckily, you had the SI on hand icon_smile.gif

victoria7310 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 10:04am
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFood4

Luckily, you had the SI on hand icon_smile.gif

Yeah! I learned a long time ago to always make sure I had plenty of Satin Ice around. I buy the white in 20lb buckets and always have a 5lb tub of every colour! As soon as one gets low, I replace it ready.

madgeowens Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 4:54am
post #19 of 24

Rhondas recipe calls for corn syrup

victoria7310 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:28pm
post #20 of 24

Well the Satin Ice & MMF mix worked a treat! Here's the finished cake.

Thanks again everyone for all the help.
LL

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:37pm
post #21 of 24

Looks great!

How did you cut your letters? I've tried an exacto knife, but didn't have very good luck with that method.

victoria7310 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:03am
post #22 of 24

I actually cut them with my new Cricut Cake. It's the one and only thing I've done with it so far, but it was great!

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:07am
post #23 of 24

Thanks Victoria...they really look great! Since I don't have a Cricut, I'll have to keep searching for a better way than my exacto. icon_wink.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 6:34pm
post #24 of 24

i've been drooling over the cricut cake ever since i saw the advertisement *sigh* even hubby wants to get me one when we can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%