Do You Texturize Fondant Before Putting On Or After?

Decorating By CakesGoneSweet Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 3:16am by cakesrock

CakesGoneSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesGoneSweet Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 4

I have done it both ways and not happy with either. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this?

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:11am
post #2 of 4

I texture before applying. I roll my fondant to about 3/4ths the size I need it and either run a textured rolling pin over it--slowly--or put my impression mat on it and roll over that.

In order to get the fondant to stick, rather than using a fondant smoother or my naked hand, I pat it gently with a soft sponge--I like the soft pink one that comes with the Wilton gum paste flower kit.

HTH
Rae

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I texture before applying. I roll my fondant to about 3/4ths the size I need it and either run a textured rolling pin over it--slowly--or put my on it and roll over that.

In order to get the fondant to stick, rather than using a fondant smoother or my naked hand, I pat it gently with a soft sponge--I like the soft pink one that comes with the Wilton gum paste flower kit.

HTH
Rae

Wow, thanks for the tip! I just bought bought two mats from Country Kitchen Sweetart, and I've been kinda scared to use them,lol! I'll have to give the ol' Wilton pink sponge a whirl!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:16am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I texture before applying. I roll my fondant to about 3/4ths the size I need it and either run a textured rolling pin over it--slowly--or put my on it and roll over that.

HTH
Rae

Yes, thanks for the great tip. I just bought the flower kit and wondered what I would do with that sponge!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%