Weight Of Your Cake

Decorating By Skidoochic Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 10:36pm by jennywenny

Skidoochic Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 3

Everytime I post a question - it gets moved so hopefully this is the RIGHT place to put this type of question!! icon_biggrin.gif

I noticed in the pictures of several people's cakes that their cake is what appears to be one cake board (see the owl cake in today's photos). I could never put a cake on one board. My cakes weigh a ton. For the owl cake - if I had done that I would have had to use three or four boards. What am I doing wrong?

BTW - the owl cake is adorable and I am in no WAY implying there is anything wrong with that cake - I am just trying to figure out the cake board issue. thumbs_up.gif

2 replies
DeeDelightful Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 3

For a one tier (2 layer cake) I would only use one cake board. I would not carry the cake using the board as handles. I would decorate the cake on that board and transfer to a box to carry it or place on a cake pedestal for display.

jennywenny Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 3

I had issues with my early cakes when I started practicing because they were just on one of those wilton boards. It means that the cake doesnt have very good integrity, if you use buttercream it can crack and it just isnt good form.

Now I use several cake boards wrapped in vinyl, or I use the gold boards, but use at least 2 or 3 depending on the size of the cake.

Its good practice to try and get the board looking as good as the cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%