Bc Problems?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 11:04pm by ddaigle

Pickulz Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 8

The last cake I did (babyshower one in my pictures)..has BC that has cracked?
I made a spiderman cake and that BC turned out perfect.
Both times I used Indydebis' BC?
What am i doing wrong?

7 replies
DeeDelightful Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 8

Maybe you needed more liquid. I read somewhere that she does not have a definite measure for the liquid, just the consistency you are comfortable with. It appears it may have been a little stiff and maybe needed to re-whip before spreading on the cake. You could go over the icing with a hot dry spatula (dip spatula in boiling water, wipe dry and go over the icing to smooth out imperfections).

shyann_rayne Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:27am
post #3 of 8

Did you only use one cake board? If you cake board is to thin it will flex and cause the cracks as well. For a cake that size I layer 3 together. hope that helps!

Julie

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:46am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyann_rayne

Did you only use one cake board? If you cake board is to thin it will flex and cause the cracks as well. For a cake that size I layer 3 together. hope that helps!

Julie

I agree - it looks like a 1/2 sheet or even a 1/4 sheet, one cake board is no where near enough support which is a main cause of cracked icing. You can put several together then wrap, or I buy foam core board at Michaels and cut it to the size I want.
LL

ddaigle Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:48am
post #5 of 8

Your spiderman cake appears to be on a cake "drum" which is 1/2" thick. It appears your baby shower cake is a foil wrapped board that looks way too thin. The majority of cracked butter cream problems are boards that are not sturdy enough. If your buttercream has too much powdered sugar to fat ratio, is another reason...but usually the board is the problem. The Wilton boards alone, are also usually not sturdy enough.

Pickulz Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:13am
post #6 of 8

Ohhh...I didnt realize I needed a stronger cake board!
Thanks so much for the input!
Im still very new to this...Thanks!!

southernswthrt Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 8

Certainly agree with comments regarding a sturdy cake board, but I still have cracking issues even when I use sturdy boards. I had cracking issues on a cake that was on a stiff masonite board (it was stacked).

On another thread, I read that adding a little white vinegar helps prevent cracking...has anyone tried that??? I'm worried it will sour the icing...

ddaigle Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 8

I have added 1 tsp. of vinegar to my chocolate butter cream, as I had cracking one time. It did not effect the taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%