Need Help Now Please!!!

Decorating By partyoffive Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm by mama2_3

partyoffive Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 6

I'm trying to do a cake with a 3-D sculpted tree on top. I used pipe as the support for my "trunk" and covered it with fondant. That part went well. I tried to use rice krispies for the "leaves" but it keeps falling apart! This cake is for display purposes so I even tried a spray adhesive to keep the leaves together but it's not working. Any ideas!!

5 replies
Kibosh Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 6

Why not try doing the leaves out of gumpaste ?? I would assume it would be nice and light, although you would have to make a LOT!
Hope it works out for youicon_smile.gif

partyoffive Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks. I found an old styrofoam ball and cut it in half. The trunk splits at the top and I used wire to hold the balls in place. I'm trying to treats again around the halves of the balls and using spray adhesive. So far working but I don't know how well it will hold together. I wish I knew how to make rice krispie treats "dry" and harden.

eccl1-12 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 6

It seems like I saw a thread recently about RKT hardening. I have not used RKT in any of my cakes yet, so I have no first hand experience but I think I read that using either white chocolate or cocoa butter hardened better than RKT made with butter. Maybe try replacing the butter in the recipe for one of those or perhaps candy melts. again, I don't know first hand but it seems like it would work. Candy melts are hard at room temp, unlike butter.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 6

I'm not sure I'm picturing exactly how you are doing the leaves out of rice krispies but I made a tree house cake a few weks ago and use a large dowel as the trunk support. I wrapped wires around that to mimic branches and then covered those in modeling chocolate. Then I added fondant leaves on top of the modeling chocolate. Is that even close to what you are looking for? Here's a pic:

If the tree didn't have a treehouse on top I would have added more leaves to fill in the gaps.

mama2_3 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 6

I used rtk in a cake awhile back. I found a couple of things out about using it. Next time I think I would crush the rk before adding to the mm. I ended up having to crush them after they were made and it was really hard on my hands. This made them a bit more stable though. I had some left-overs and they hardened the longer they were left out. HTH! Good luck and make sure to post pics!

Quote by @%username% on %date%