Please Help Fondant Smoothing Issues!!!

Decorating By Faffy Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 11:24pm by ChoueiriCakeCo

Faffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faffy Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 9

I need some advice on smoothing fondant. I completed my first fondant cake yesterday and had problems using the wilton smoothers. They would stick to the fondant and not glide smoothly. I have seen you tube toutorials where there seems to be no problem with this. Is it because I was using White Satin Ice and had to add gel colors to it? Or because of the wilton smoother not being so good? Please help I need to do another fondant cake tomorrow and don't want to have this issue again. Thank you for the help in advance. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
RobynLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynLM Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 9

I have the Wilton fondant smoother and have never had problems with it. Be sure that it is clean and dry. Is your fondant smooth and dry as well (ie clear of piping gel, etc.)?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 9

I often put some PS on my hands and smooth the fondant with just the palms first. Then I use 2 smoothers to go over the cake. One to hold the layer in place and the other to smooth. You will get not fingerprint dimples this way. If there is any PS remaining I just brush it off.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 9

Mine does that when I get a little shortening on the top of the fondant. I roll mine out with shortening. Like the others said, just dust it with ps.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 9

I use cornstarch in a small "puff" to dust the smoothers with - very lightly. If the smoother "drags" at all, I stop and redust it.

Faffy Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 9

I tried to put icing sugar on the smoothers but that did not help, I thought of putting icing sugar on the fondant but was worried that I would not get it off if I did. I do use shortning to roll out fondant but only on the cake side so I don't think that was the problem.

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 9

my sympathies... I have had trouble with this too and I think it is because I live in a moist environment and my fondant covered cakes get condensation on them. Don't be afraid of the PS. I have been known to coat my hands in it and liberally rub it onto the fondant to dry up the condensation. I put it on my hands for that, I dip the smoothers in it and rub them together a bit to coat them, and I put it on the cake when I need to also. Use as much as you need, wherever you need it to get the smoothers to work, then any excess will brush off with a brush, no problem. HTH!

Faffy Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 9

ecceli-12 I live in a moist environment too (the west coast of B.C. Canada) I wonder if that is the problem???? I will try the powdered sugar Thanks to all!! icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 9

Don't be afraid to use PS on fondant. If my smoother is sticking to the fondant I dust my hands with PS and rub the fondant until it's no longer sticky. Just use a bit at a time until you can use the smoother.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%