Anyone Notice

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 3:25am by mamawrobin

bostonterrierlady Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 14

That there are less and less buttercream cakes being posted these days. I like buttercream cakes but I have noticed not to many are posting them. They seem to be mostly fondant.

13 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 14

Yes..I notice this as well...I am still one of the few Buttercream decoraters as I just am not crazy about trying to cover a cake in fondant although I have done a few..Grrrr

TheCakerator Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 14

Im a buttercream girl!

TheCakeShak Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 14

I like buttercream cakes too... but the trend seems to be shifting again for the Fondant covering cakes...

At first also, I was "afraid" of Fondant..... but was later taught to "love the fondant". "Don't let the Fondant get you"........ something like that.......

So, I just kept goofing with it at first, you know, testing it out, putting it on small cakes, then working my way up.
Most of my cake orders are for fondant now a days. I may get 1 or 2 for just buttercream cakes.

Now, I really like using the Fondant, plus I love the vanilla smell to it and the colors really hold well...

cheatize Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:54am
post #5 of 14

I say, keep the buttercream skills fresh. It will come around again. In the meantime, play around with fondant so the next time it comes around, you'll be ready.
I'm the opposite: I can do fondant but my buttercream skills are still lacking at this point. I'm working on the buttercream skills behind the scenes, so to speak.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:01am
post #6 of 14

I do not like fondant covered cakes. I love working with BC and decorating with fondant. Smoothing my icing out is one thing I have gotten down. I get a lot of compliments on how smooth it looks and when I tell them I did it with a paper towel they are surprised. icon_smile.gif

PattyT Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:20am
post #7 of 14

The ones I post are mostly buttercream 'cause mine are for family/friends and that's what they like to eat.

If I have the freedom, I try to practice with fondant, but it has to be a pretty big event for people to accept it.

Still working on smoooooothing the buttercream (converted them to SMBC which doesn't take well to most methods) but I get by.

mbark Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:31am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8sMom

I do not like fondant covered cakes. I love working with BC and decorating with fondant. Smoothing my icing out is one thing I have gotten down. I get a lot of compliments on how smooth it looks and when I tell them I did it with a paper towel they are surprised. icon_smile.gif

that's me too

confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:32am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I'm the opposite: I can do fondant but my buttercream skills are still lacking at this point. I'm working on the buttercream skills behind the scenes, so to speak.

Me too! For some reason I took to fondant much more easily than I took to buttercream. I wish my buttercream skills were better. I think fondant is just more forgiving. If I screw it up I can just knead it all back together and try again! Can't really take the buttercream off of the cake.

GGx1 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:33am
post #10 of 14

I am better @ fondant, I have the hardest time smoothing my BC, with fondant it does not have to be that smooth.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:38am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Me too! For some reason I took to fondant much more easily than I took to buttercream. I wish my buttercream skills were better. I think fondant is just more forgiving. If I screw it up I can just knead it all back together and try again! Can't really take the buttercream off of the cake.

I have actually done that with BC when I was really discouraged with a cake. Luckily I crumb coat so taking off the top layer, remixing and reapplying the icing worked out well.

Sherry1030 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:39am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGx1

I am better @ fondant, I have the hardest time smoothing my BC, with fondant it does not have to be that smooth.

I feel the same way - fondant is so much easier! I haven't mastered smoothing buttercream yet.. I'm much more intimidated by the buttercream cakes..

confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #13 of 14
Quote:

I have actually done that with BC when I was really discouraged with a cake. Luckily I crumb coat so taking off the top layer, remixing and reapplying the icing worked out well.

See, this is one of my problems! I cannot figure out how to crumb coat a cake! How dumb is that? I need a video or something. I just end up pulling off the frosting if I try to put a thin crumb coat on.

mamawrobin Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:25am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Quote:

See, this is one of my problems! I cannot figure out how to crumb coat a cake! How dumb is that? I need a video or something. I just end up pulling off the frosting if I try to put a thin crumb coat on.

Maybe your icing is too thick. Thin the icing, that you're using to crumb coat, and see if that doesn't help thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%