Questions On Sps Instructions

Decorating By splymale Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 6:19pm by Rosa2745

splymale Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 10

I have read through the SPS instructions & have found it very helpful. I have a few questions, though.
I am doing my 1st 4 tier cake this summer...

1. The cardboard under the individual cakes: I'm assuming this is plain old cake boards you pick up anywhere? Also, should the cake boards be covered with wax paper?
2. Should a 4 tier w/ SPS be assembled prior to delivery or on sight? Is a 4 tier typically too heavy to carry?
3. Will I have to use a ton of icing to get to the edge of the plastic plate? I'm putting a ribbon on the bottom of each tier, but will the cake meet the edge of the plate with a normal amount of icing?

Thank you, thank you!!!!

9 replies
tiggy2 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 10

1. Yes, regular cake boards with hole punched in center for peg.
2. It can be delivered assembled if you can carry it.......don't know how much weight you can handle.
3. Purchase plates the same size and your layers and you wont have any problems covering them.

Rosa2745 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 10

I did a four teir with sps. I had originally thought of taking it completely assembled but after I stacked the first cake on I realized how heavy it would be so I took two cakes stacked, I put in the sps plates in the others and completed stacking at the party. Then I just finished it with a border. Worked out great! I use freezer paper instead of wax just because I feel it's a bit thicker.

splymale Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you!
What is freezer paper? Plastic wrap?

eccl1-12 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 10

freezer paper is the stuff they wrap meat in when you go to the meat counter at the store. It feels like paper on one side and on the other side it is shiny- maybe waxy. You should be able to find it in the same section at the grocery store as you would find plastic wrap, parchment paper and other paper and plastic products.

splymale Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you!

DeeDelightful Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 10

Good questions. I got my SPS delivered by UPS yesterday, and i was wondering about covering the plates, also. Thanks.

leah_s Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 10

I use regular cake cardboards and have never covered them with anything.

DeeDelightful Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 10

I meant covering the edges of the plates with enough frosting. I was hoping the plates would not extend out too far past the actual cake. I don't plan on covering the cake boards with anything. My cake design doesn't require a border, so i'm thinking i may need to use Sugarshack's method of filling in any gaps with stiffened buttercream for a smooth finish.

Rosa2745 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 10

As long as you measure so your cakes are as close to 4 inches as possible. When you have less than 4 inches of cake then you will notice a larger gap that will require a border. You should try them out before that day so you know what to expect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%