Loopy Bow From Mmf?

Decorating By dmo4ab Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 3:24am by dmo4ab

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make a loopy fondant bow to go on top of a baby shower cake next weekend. This will be my first attempt. I usually work with MMF. From previous posts and tutorials I've learned that I need to use a mixture of fondant and gumpaste. I've never even made gumpaste before.
Will MMF mix with gumpaste well? If so, how is the best way to make the gumpaste (I won't need a huge batch), and what ratio do you mix with the fondant?

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 8

I've made loopy bows from MMF before. They take longer to dry than gumpaste does, but as long as you have a few days, which you do, it's not a problem. It works better to get a thick dowel, 1" thick, wrap it with press and seal or plastic wrap, dust with cornstarch, and hang the loops over it to dry, making sure all the ends are lined up so the loops have the same curve. With gumpaste you can dry the loops on their sides instead. After your MMF loops have dried overnight, gently loosen them from the dowel but leave them hanging on it for another day at least, until the undersides aren't sticky anymore. Then just make your bow like the tutorials show. You can trim the ends off with kitchen shears to make the center of the bow tighter if necessary, which you can't do when you use gumpaste.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 8

Hi,
I've made loopy bows with MMF too and never added anything to it. ( although you could add Tylose powder too) It does take about 2 days to totally dry. I just make each loop and lay it on it's side to dry on a wax paper lined tray.

Some people pinch the ends of the loops to dry. I've done that and also just made them straight, then using scissors cut a pointed end off each loop after they're dry.

Not sure how you planned on attaching the loops together but melted candy melts work perfectly. thumbs_up.gif

KimAZ

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 8

I just posted a cake w/ a loopy bow on top...I used MMF & tylose powder mixed in. I dried all of mine on their sides on a table, at first, but this was a last minute addition to the cake, and I needed them dried quicker, so I put them on a cookie sheet (on parchment), and baked @250 for a few minutes...my red loops melted, but the rest ended up really hard.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:52am
post #5 of 8

Rain/humidity/heat means straight MMF will take forever to get, if ever. Last summer taught me that.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 7:56am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Rain/humidity/heat means straight MMF will take forever to get, if ever. Last summer taught me that.

Not always...most of my MMF bows were made in an apartment with no air conditioning, in summer in south TX. It was so hot the kids couldn't wear clothes or they'd get a rash, and so humid the walls dripped sometimes, but my MMF dried just fine, for bows, figures and flowers. I didn't discover how much easier gumpaste was until about a month before I moved out of that place.

Jealena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jealena Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 8

FlourPots your photos are awsome!!! Did you just pick up modeling from watching different videos and practicing??? You must be very creative. I would love to learn to do some of this detailed work....

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:24am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone for your input. I hope to get started on this tomorrow. Wish me luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%