Anyone From Michigan? Moving There Soon....

Business By luvscakes Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 9:11pm by grams

luvscakes Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 15

Hi there,

My husband just accepted a new job in Michigan, which means I will be re-building my cake business from the ground up icon_sad.gif
Is anyone here from Michigan? I'm interested in knowing the laws along with any supply stores in the area. We'll be in the Kalamazoo area. From what little information I can find it seems like it is going to be a nightmare-which is a BIG bummer!

14 replies
momg9 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 15

Welcome to Michigan! That's unusual, most people are leaving Michigan to find jobs. I live in the Detroit area, so I'm not sure about supply stores in Kalamazoo. To be legal from your home, you have to have a separate kitchen.

NerdyGirl Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 15

I'm in the Detroit area too, though I have friends on the west side. I can't remember if they said there are supply stores. You can try Google! I guess that it's a promising sign if people are starting to move back!

mkolmar Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:50am
post #4 of 15

That's odd. I'd leave MI if I could in a heart beat.

I'm south of Detroit and your not allowed to have a home based business. You can if you have a separate kitchen but they still will make you jump through flaming hoops of fire for that. The HD will tell you themselves that they hate going out to residential areas.
Now some people think it's different per city/township/county in MI, but they are wrong. I was given the ok by my township and county. I talked to the state and they said that everyone else was wrong. That the whole state is under the same law not per city/county.

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:08am
post #5 of 15

Agreed, I'd leave in a heartbeat too if I could. I'm in the Metro Detroit area (suburbs.) Where are you going to be moving to?

radtech Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:13am
post #6 of 15

I live in the Grand Rapids area and only do cakes for friends and family and know of only a few small stores on the area. I am originally from the Detroit and moved here about 23 years ago.....love it! Welcome to the Great Lakes State!

myKzooKid Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:21am
post #7 of 15

I can't speak to the regulations or supply stores but I can speak confidently about Kalamazoo. I lived there for 4 years and only left so my son could grow up near grandparents and cousins. Kalamazoo is a great place to live. At least while I was there, it's economy faired better than the rest of the state. Good luck with your move. If you have little ones, look to the Portage school district.

erin12345 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:31am
post #8 of 15

I grew up on the east side of Detroit and now live in northern Macomb County. I love Michigan and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I'm not familiar with what's available in Kalamazoo specifically but the western side of the state where it's located is very beautiful. You will only be a few hours drive from Chicago. Kalamazoo is a college town(Western Michigan University), so I'm sure you'll have plenty of customers.The seasons are beautiful here and of course the Great Lakes are great! Congratulations on your husband finding a new job and I hope you have an easy time adjusting to your move. Welcome to Michigan!

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:34am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by myKzooKid

I can't speak to the regulations or supply stores but I can speak confidently about Kalamazoo. I lived there for 4 years and only left so my son could grow up near grandparents and cousins. Kalamazoo is a great place to live. At least while I was there, it's economy faired better than the rest of the state. Good luck with your move. If you have little ones, look to the Portage school district.

Things have changed!! Kalamazoo now has the highest unemployment rate in the state.

sherry_lyn Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:14am
post #10 of 15

Michigan isn't the easiest place to get legal, but it can be done. I know lots of people complain about the Dept of Ag & how hard it is, getting the run around, etc. but the inspector in my area has been really nice & helpful. Good luck with your move & new business. =o)

I'm in Jackson, about an hour east of Kalamazoo on 94. Not any help for Kalamazoo area supply stores, but Cake Connection here in Jackson is my home away from home. LOL

Paigeness Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 15

I used to live in Kalamazoo (1983-1986).

personally, I think that it SHOULD be hard and rule-laden to open any kind of food establishment, anywhere.

luvscakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 15

You guys crack me up!! I know MI has suffered badly, but my hubby is with a great, stable company icon_smile.gif
I personally came from northern UT so I love the snow, and we are moving from the middle of the country where it is flat and unattractive... so we are excited to start a new journey as a family, but I am less enthusiastic about re-building a customer base and getting legal icon_sad.gif I am a little intimidated.

We are looking to the Portage area because of the schools there, and I am glad to know about the Cake Connection. I was just looking at the Sugar arts club for western MI last night!

Thanks again for all your help!!

luvscakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:41pm
post #13 of 15

Oh, and does anyone know anything about the Parchment schools or the Comstock schools? I've found a few houses in both these areas as well.

mpetty Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by myKzooKid

Things have changed!! Kalamazoo now has the highest unemployment rate in the state.

Not true; actually Kalamazoo has the lowest unemployment rate in SW Michigan; we're at 9.7% instead of 10+% in the other counties, Big deal, eh? Still, I've been out of work for 3 years ad am having to reassess my career options (ooh, I know...I'll get a job in a bakery!) It is a beautiful place, but tough to get a job right now.

LOL, luvscakes, Kalamazoo is a beautiful place to live (born and raised here), but I'd give a lot to have the land flat here in the winter time (stupid ice and snow!). I'll PM you with info about where to shop when you get here.

BTW, how cool to know so many are from this area. Quick, let's all hold up our hand and point to where we live...icon_biggrin.gif

grams Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 15

Welcome to Michigan. I live in Battle Creek so I'm not too far from Kalamazoo. There is a small cake supply store on Sprinkle Road that I get my supplies from. It has recently changed owners. The new owner is very nice and has already stocked some new items the other lady didn't carry. The name of the store is Cake and Candy. Feel free to PM me if you want more info. The other store I shop at is the one in Jackson called Cake Connections. There is a store near Lansing called Maxine's but I haven't been there in a couple years so I don't know if it is still up and running or not. I was able to get my boards, boxes, fillings, colors, tips, and more right in Kalamazoo. Things I can't get there I order online.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%