Next Step

Decorating By rebew10 Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 6:26pm by rebew10

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, I have been decorating cakes for about a year and a half now. I have self-taught pretty much everything, but with a lot of help from individuals on here. I haven't taken any classes as of date and am wanting to venture out into learning how to make gumpaste flowers. Has anyone learned how to do this on their own and how difficult was it?? The reason being, I would have to drive an hour each way to a class and their schedule is not condusive to mine.

9 replies
cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 10

start by buying the wilton gumpaste flower cutter kit comes with a book on how to make the flowers.thats how i learned..

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 10

My DH taught himself to make gumpaste flowers and figures by watching tutorials online and studying books from the library (as well as just buying silk flowers and winging it). I used a 50% off coupon at HL and bought a beginner kit at HL. The book with it was pretty good for learning the basics.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 10

tonedna1 on youtube has AMAZING tutorials. She also sells a few dvds from her website.

http://designmeacake.com/

RobynLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynLM Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 10

I agree with PPs. Follow some online tutorials, purchase a kit and book and get making. They are a lot of fun!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 10

I taught my self using online tutorials and just practising plenty!

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 10

YouTube has some very helpful videos on gumpaste flowers. I've taught myself using these. Beats driving an hour.

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 10

I agree w/ others... there are some great tutorials online. Google 'how to make gumpaste flower' or 'how to make gumpaste rose' or..... it should pull up a good list of online tutorials through youtube, etc. I am also going to try to email you a document that I believe I ran across from a posting on CC, which gives great instruction on how to do several different flowers. I used it for the peony on the family Bible in my pics - it was my first attempt at gumpaste flowers. It is possible to do w/out specific cutters. I actually used Martha Stewart's template for paper peonies to cut my petals. This is certainly something you can self-teach, it will just take some time and patience. Good luck!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 10

I absolutely agree! I took the Wilton classes, but actually learned more from all the on line tutorials! Then just practice, practice, practice!!!!

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone!! Guess I'll start looking on-line and through some books.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%