Mixing Fondant With Chocolate

Decorating By t4beatles Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 12:11am by hilly

t4beatles Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 4

I have read a few posts where people have said they mix fondant with melted chocolate and it tasted better.

I am wondering how much you mix in ?

I will be working with Satin Ice tonight and thought maybe I would try this to make it taste better.

Thoughts?

3 replies
minicuppie Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 4

I think the only time you can mix actual chocolate with fondant is mixing cocoa in when you make it yourself. Sub for some of the 10X. However, chocolate candy clay is a different matter. There are threads discussing the hows and whys, just use the search feature. HTH.

cvigil Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 4

I've never had any luck mixing chocolate with fondant. It either turns into a soupy mess or dry and crumbly. Not sure if it is just me or if it just doesn't work. I know that it is costly but I would just purchase chocolate fondant.

hilly Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:11am
post #4 of 4

I have mixed candy clay (chocolate melted and mixed with corn syrup) and fondant before. I have tried to just mix the chocolate with the fondant and it doesn't work, it hardens too much and becomes crumbly and hard to work with. Once I added corn syrup to that batch though, it was more like candy clay (although didn't taste as good and was a bit stretchier). I wouldn't cover a cake in it though, I used it for decorations.

You can make chocolate fondant by subbing some of the powdered sugar for cocoa powder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%