Speckled Icing?

Decorating By Hillywu Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm by cakeschmake

Hillywu Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 6

So yesterday I whipped up a couple of batches of Sugarshack's buttercream and tinted the colors I needed. I iced my cake last night and this morning it's speckled!!! icon_confused.gif I used Wilton colors, which maybe could be the reason. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if they know what the reason is. The color I used was teal. Did I not get it mixed well enough? The cake was stored overnight underneath a cake save that was not tightly sealed.

5 replies
tiggerjo Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 6

this has also happened to me at times. the answer I got was because I used salt.

RobynLM Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 6

This used to happen to me as well.

Did you use salt? I've gotten into the habit of adding the salt at the same time as I add my liquid (before dry ingredients). This has stopped the specks. If you're not using salt (or even if you are), I would try letting it blend a little longer so everything has a chance to cream together well. See if that helps.

TexasSugar Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 6

Are the colors darker or lighter?

If they are darker spots you may not have gotten the color blended in all the way.

If they are lighter spots, well I don't think it is salt myself because I have had too many students with dots in their icing (purple has blue dots, pink and blue will get white dots) and most of the time they did not add the salt to the icing. I actually believe it is a reaction to the chemicals/minerals in the water.

You can use bottled water to see if that helps, but the good news for you is once the icing has spotted all you have to do is stir it up and you are good to go. It will not respot. So you acutally did a good thing by making your icing and coloring it ahead of time. icon_smile.gif

Hillywu Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the answers. I did not add any salt to the recipe. Just made it exactly as written. I'm thinking I just didn't have the colors mixed in enough. I'll try mixing it better next time.

cakeschmake Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 6

I have gotten speckled icing if the shortening I used didnt have any transfats... just a thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%