Ahhh, My Leg Is Broken!

Decorating By meldancer Updated 10 Dec 2010 , 4:24pm by Debi2

meldancer Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 21

I need quick and serious help! I am making the leg lamp from The Christmas Story. I have molded RKT around a dowel for the leg. Everything looked great at 1:30am. I got up this morning and the weight of the RKT have sunken down and caused the ankle and foot to bulge and crack. The leg is covered with buttercream and the shoe is fondant. The crack is breaking open the fondant.I have to deliver the cake this afternoon. Can it be fixed? What do I do? My sexy leg lamp is now short and stumpy with a look of bunyons!

20 replies
meldancer Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 21

Debi2 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 21

Sorry you didn't get any answeres for your leg lamp problems! I hope it all worked out in the end.

I am getting ready to make one too for the first time, and wondered if you could give me any advice?

Also, did your support dowel go from the foot all the way up through the cake? How did you anchor your dowel on the bottom? I was thinking a flange would be too large and bulky to cover with the shoe?

meldancer Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 21

I would recommend not using buttercream to cover the RKT because the grease made the RKT soggy and sag. My leg ended up not looking like a sexy leg. It looked like an old lady with gout. HA! The support system I had was a board about 11x15 ( I had a sheet cake on it to look like the crate) a pipe with a flange was fastened to it. That ran all the way through the leg. Another flange at the top connected to a round board with held the lampshade. I glued black fringe to the board to cover it. I'll post a couple of pics of the support system and the finished disaster ;0 If I have to make it again, I would either cover the leg in royal icing, or fondant. Maybe just carve the leg out of styrofoam and then there is no worry of it collapsing on itself. Good luck!!

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 21

Thank you for the tip of not covering the RKT with buttercream.

meldancer Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 21

I just posted the pics. Hope they help. If anything it will give you a good laugh!

jerseygirlNga Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 21

Don't know if this is right or wrong but the last time I made something that stood with RKT, I covered in ROYAL. I used a small microplane to smooth the RKT before the Royal.

I know this part wont help but you have a great sense of humor. Keep in mind that movie is almost 30 years old...and we all sag as we age...just some more than others.

Kellbella Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 21

I thought YOUR leg was broken...I was thinking to myself ...at least it's not her arm so at least she can use her arm to decorate icon_redface.gif

meldancer Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 21

What is funny is I made this cake for a guy that had been in a car accident and lost his leg after lots of surgeries. They threw a party for him when he got his prostetic leg because he was able to finally move on with his life. A great guy with a huge sence of humor, so it worked out anyway ;0

meldancer Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 21

I put that in the heading so it would get someone's attention. Seems like I post on here and don't get a response. The timing was urgent and I really needed help.

Debi2 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 21

Thank you sooo much meldancer!!! I appreciate your taking the time and effort to offer your tips and post the pics! You info is very helpful thumbs_up.gif I just couldn't figure out how I was going to support the foot/leg without the flange showing, but you solved that by putting the crate/sheetcake underneath and having the flange under that. I wouldn't have thought about the buttercream on the rkt being an issue either, so that's good to know. I've seen rkt covered in chocoloate too...so that's always an option if anyone doesn't want to use royal icing.

Thanks again!!!

Happy Holidays icon_biggrin.gif

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 21

Could you repair that area? Take the fondant off and trim and bulges and re apply the fondant? Not sure unless you post a pic. icon_sad.gif

Debi2 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:47pm
post #13 of 21

There's a a pic posted under "photos" icon_smile.gif

josweets Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 5:00pm
post #14 of 21
Originally Posted by meldancer

What is funny is I made this cake for a guy that had been in a car accident and lost his leg after lots of surgeries. They threw a party for him when he got his prostetic leg because he was able to finally move on with his life. A great guy with a huge sence of humor, so it worked out anyway ;0

What a great story!

I loved how the cake turned out....gout and all icon_razz.gif What a neat idea! I'd love to try it one day when I'm feeling very ambitious! icon_cool.gif

Debi2 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 21

Not sure how I missed your post with the story behind the leg cake! icon_rolleyes.gif That is a funny story! Sounds like you both have a great sense of humor!!! icon_biggrin.gif

meldancer Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 5:06pm
post #16 of 21

Make sure you post a pic, I would like to see yours too!

Debi2 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:58pm
post #17 of 21

Ok, I will. thumbs_up.gif I will try and post it before Chistmas if I can. If not, soon afterward.

Thanks again! I think this will be a fun one to make and suprise the family with. I must admit though, the "fishnets" are intimidating me! We'll see who wins in the end...the cake, or me! icon_lol.gif

meldancer Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:05pm
post #18 of 21

I drew them on with frosting.

Debi2 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:32pm
post #19 of 21

Yeah, I was thinking either that, or use my clay extruder to get the lines? I was thinking the fondant/gumpaste might hold up better in transit. I have to drive this cake 8hrs! I'm also thinking I might have to keep the leg and shade separate until I get there, then assemble. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew at this time of year. icon_rolleyes.gif Maybe if I make the leg portion now, it will be REALLY hard by Christmas and hold up better while traveling? It just won't be edible. ha ha Then do the cake closer to the time I will be leaving so it will be fresh.

meldancer Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:58pm
post #20 of 21

That wouldn't be a bad idea. I had to transport mine seperately. I carried in the base with the leg, and then carried in the shade and plopped it on top and was done.

Debi2 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:24pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks, that's what I was thinking of doing too. thumbs_up.gif

Did you put your fringe on before hand? I guess if it's the purchased kind, it wouldn't get messed up like it would if it were fondant. I got all my supplies to make the support frame last night...so I'm hoping to start the leg portion soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%