Gotta Get This Off My Chest Before I Disown My Family

Business By minicuppie Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 10:16pm by indydebi

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 11

Last summer my sister and her daughter dropped by as I was bagging up the last of a 350 piece order (fondant covered wedding cake cookies with pearl dust, intricate piping and tiny flowers, bagged and tied with ribbon, $7.50 each) and were all ooh and ahh. A couple of weeks later they call and want 50 6inch tall cowboy boots, black fondant with red fondant "tooling". I told them if they bagged and tied I could do them for $6.50 each. Thought the phone had disconnected, it was so quiet. I explained I would have to purchase the fondant as MMF just doesn't take to those dark colors and gave the option of brown or even white (tastes better anyway)...still nothing. I offered the use of my stuff and would instruct on the techniques) and got a no thank you. Last winter my SIL (bestest friends with my sis) renewed her vows. They let me know I was too expensive and ordered from my competition (like SHE charges less?) Well...yesterday my niece was pitching some Elmo cuppies on her Facebook. $24 for a half dozen. I don't get it.

10 replies
Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 11

I'm sorry that happened to you with family members! But after reading enough threads around here, it's not shocking, right? icon_sad.gif

Sounds like your niece decided to get in on the bakery action and try to make her own profit. Funny how that works...your prices are too high for them, but they can charge their own higher price. icon_rolleyes.gif

minicuppie Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 11

Not unusual at all...but thanks for the "poor baby"!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 11

icon_biggrin.gif I would have felt the same way you did!!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 11

I would remind her on facebook about the repercussions of copyright infringement for selling elmo themed cupcakes!

But that's just me. . .

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 11

This is just me, but I personally would never pay 325.00 for cookies if they were trimmed with gold. Not because I don't realize the skill and time it takes to do them, but because it just isn't worth it to me. So maybe she's just one of those people, or the event isn't that important(I could see spending that for wedding favors, but not a birthday party).

Anyway, as IndyDebi would say "Not everyone can afford me, and I'm okay with that!" icon_biggrin.gif

minicuppie Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 11

Rose...took care of the Elmo. Went something like this (comment under the "ad") Wow, those are sooo cute! How in the world did she get permission (to sell Elmo) from the Sesame Street copyright lawyers? Next day the "ad" had chocolate CC with a chocolate swirl and sprinkles.
* OBTW...I wouldn't pay that much for cookies, either. Isn't it great that someone will?

Majie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Majie Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 11

This is the exact reason why i always have excuses when dealing with my family, they want everything for nothing all the time. So instead of being their slave i politely tell them i have other orders (even though i have absolutely nothing).

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

* OBTW...I wouldn't pay that much for cookies, either. Isn't it great that someone will?

Heck Yeah! thumbs_up.gif

ETA: After re-reading your post(and realizing that my reading comprehension sucks), I'd like to amend the ending of my previous post to "....or maybe she's just an ass." icon_biggrin.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 11

ughhh...hugs!

if it makes u feel any better, $24 sounds much cheaper than $325, even if it is the same price...

ahhh if only they knew how much effort it takes...luckily may family and friends ask me every time, "wow...how many hours did that take??" and they better understand the time=$ issue.

I had my [wealthy] SIL tell me she went to a bakery for her daughters birthday cake, and she wanted a "simple present cake" HA! they quoted her "like $200!!!" and I just stared at her like, yeah...??? Then she followed with "now that I know how many hours it took I understand"...ughhhh

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 11

A VERY good friend of mine was going to have me make cookie favors for her wedding. SHe ran into a budget crunch and canceled the order, saying she was going to have a bridesmaid cookie baking party and do them herself.

I grinned to myself and sent her a nice, long "Helpful" email (when printed out it was over 3 pages long). Sent her recipes, multiplied out by how much stuff she'd need to buy and the cost; baking times (which worked out to about 10 hours!); icing time (which was about 8 man hours, assuming she could do each one in the time I'd allocated); etc.

Uh, she ended up buying cookies at Kroger! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Hmmmm....whadda ya know? It IS a little more than "just slap 'em together!" icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%