Janesville, Wi Or Beloit, Wi?

Decorating By jonahsmom Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 1:55am by leily

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 13

Any cake decorating shops in that area? I'm gonna be there tomorrow (probably) to visit family. It would be so much nicer if I didn't have to spend ALL my time with them! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 13

Wish I could help you. There aren't many worthwhile cake decorating shops in Wisconsin. Most are around Milwaukee and perhaps Madison. There is one in Green Bay but doesn't offer much - has a lot of Wilton stuff.

Are you from Wisconsin?

jonahsmom Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 13

No, my hubby's family is from Wisconsin. Brothers, aunts, grandparents before they passed. Hence the not wanting to spend ALL my time with them! icon_lol.gif

sweetjane3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjane3 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 13

Ha Ha!!! I know what you mean. I can only take so much of my mother-in- law. However Janesville has nothing but Micheals and Hobby Lobby. I'm pretty sure Beloit has nothing. I've never been to the Vanilla Bean store in Madison but I might stop there tonight to see what they have. Sorry! Janesville is a nice place but has little to offer to us cake decorators.

jonahsmom Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 13

icon_sad.gif

Maybe the Michaels or Hobby Lobby will have something DIFFERENT than what we have here? Worth a shot anyway.

My mother-in-law actually lives here in our same town. I love her to death...but yes, only so much I can take! I'm just glad she doesn't want to go!!! I'm chatty, but she talks more than I do. THAT is scary!!!! But really, I do love her to death. She's great. Just grates on the nerves sometimes. Hubby says that too, so it's not just me being a meanie!!!!

jonahsmom Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 13

Okay, so now we're not going to see his family in Wisconsin, we're going to go see my sister and her family in Iowa City.

We go through(ish) Waterloo, Cedar Falls, Cedar Rapids and will land in Iowa City/Coralville.

Any ideas for cake supply shops in those areas?

Thanks!

sweetjane3 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 13

Oh! I'm sorry I really have no idea. Not to change the subject but do you have any idea how make a black chocolate mmf. I have to make a Harley Davidson cake. I was thinking of using mmf but I have never made chocolate mmf and was wondering how dark it will be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

jonahsmom Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 13

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6971/true-black-mmf

I love this recipe for black! And it tastes good!!!!

sweetjane3 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 13

Oh thank you ! I'll have to try it. Have fun with the family! I hope you find what your looking for thumbs_up.gif

sarah5008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah5008 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 13

I'll be interested to know about Iowa shops too! My in laws are the cedar rapids area (we live in the Madison, WI area). Vanilla Bean was NOT what I expected. If you are going to buy board, boxes, pans and cookie or candy making supplies you will have better luck. I, however, went looking for fondant and gumpaste tools etc. The Jo-Ann's behind the Vanilla Bean had way more to offer in that area-lol. So stop at both and you're good to go! icon_smile.gif

jonahsmom Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks!

sweetjane3 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the info on Vanilla Bean. I guess I'll pass. I was looking for fondant and impression mats, ect. Such a bummer! thumbsdown.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:55am
post #13 of 13

I live about 20 miles south of Iowa city and have not heard of any place there that carries anything besides wal-mart and michael's. The best places to find cake decorating supplies around here are at True Value hardware stores. (weird i know) but somea round here carry Magic Line and sleeve fillings and the good name brand stuff. Never tried any in Iowa City though, may want to hit the phone book before you travel and make a call to see if they carry anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%