Fondant Flowers On Buttercream, Will They Wilt?

Decorating By dianab Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 10:12pm by TexasSugar

dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 8

Please help... I am worried... I am making my first wedding cake for a friend of mine. It is my gift to her. The wedding is tomorrow, but I wanted to decorate today. If I put them on a day early, will my fondant flowers soften and wilt from the buttercream? I didn't know if the shortening grease will seep into the flowers and soften them. Thanks!

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 8

I put fondant flowers whether dried or soft on buttercream all the time and I have never had any wilt.The only time it did was when I poked curly cues through frozen semi thawed cupcakes and the condensation wilted the cues.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 8

As long as you don't put the cake in an airtight container you are fine. icon_smile.gif

dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 8

Good to know! Thanks! I was planning on putting the 6'' layer in an airtight container. I guess I won't... I will just loosely cover it.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 8

Hmmm-mine always do. I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 8

Mandy do you put it in an air tight container or the fridge?

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 8

No, neither. Maybe it's really humid when this happens? Maybe they need to be even dryer before I put them on the cake?

TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 8

Hmmm, I'm not sure. The only times I have had fondant or gumpaste flowers wilt is when I closed them in something with a cake. And I live in Texas so I know humid. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%