Food Network Challenge - No Cake For Client?

Lounge By mazz Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 6:03pm by rosiecast

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 29

This was in my local paper - I wish it gave more answers but I think you all will find it interesting.

It was the Challenge where they said they were going to Disqualify the decorators if they didn't incorporate more of the clients interests into the cakes.

Check it out:

Couple's anniversary a pretty
sweet occasion

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20100318/COLUMNISTS0106/3180303/Couple-s-anniversary-a-pretty-sweet-occasion

(mod edited to provide link to copyright material.)

28 replies
cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 29

I saw this challenge a couple of weeks ago on Food Network. It was a good show.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 29

I'm confused by that last paragraph. Not sure what she was meaning to say.

So they got picked to be the guest of honor or whatever on a cake challenge and then didn't get to keep the cake?

Yeah, I need more answers.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 29

So why didn't they get to taste the cake? I think I missed something. icon_confused.gif

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 29

That was the oddest story. Why wouldn;t they be able to eat them and what did she mean, "they are baking cakes?"

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 29

In the paragraph before, it says they will watch the premiere with friends from their community - I think this is the "they're baking cakes" that she's referring to - meaning that her friends are baking cakes. Sucks that they don't get the cake - I'd at least want to taste it. What's cake for if not to be eaten - no matter how beautiful it looks!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 29

What newspaper is this? I'd e-mail the writer and ask more questions.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 29

I saw the show too! They didn't even get to eat a bite of cake? That doesn't make sense! And the cakes would go for $15,000? That seems a bit excessive to me.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 29

As confusing as it is, I am very happy that they put that the cakes would retail for $15,000+ each...

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:51pm
post #10 of 29

As I mentioned, I watched the episode and did not see anything that would lead me to believe the didn't get a cake. Now if something happened after taping, that is a different story.

mazz Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 29

I know I found the reporting terrible and the last paragraph odd also. I did copy the article in full - so I understand everyones confusion. I know from the article they were flown out for the show but you think they would have some cake to celebrate with even at there hotel.

NYCGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYCGiGi Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:02pm
post #12 of 29

When I met Michelle Bommerito, she told me that all of the cakes made on the majority of the television shows cannot be eaten because they are not made in a food-approved environment. They're made in a television studio, not a kitchen; therefore they cannot be eaten by the public. I think it's sad, but this explains why they couldn't eat the cake.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:30pm
post #13 of 29

I'm with NYCGigi, I wonder if they meant they didn't get a bite of cake that day. The whole point was that the cake would be reproduced for their anniversary party...wasn't it? I remember for the Spongebob one they even showed the little boys birthday party.

And just as a note, in the Villians episode, part of the cake hit the floor and they put it back on the cake so I think we're all pretty sure they don't eat the cakes they make on seticon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #14 of 29

Right, the winner will be recreating the cake for the party.
Believe me, after what we've been told those cakes go through you don't want to eat them.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:58am
post #15 of 29

Off topic - is it just me or does anyone else hate the new format of Food Network Challenge? The darkness, the new host ugh, just puts me off. I did notice though that on Ultimate Cake Off they say that the cake actually consumed at the event is not the same one made during the competition, so hopefully it just means they didn't get to eat that particular cake but did still get a version of the one that won.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:08am
post #16 of 29

My husband is friends with several of the competitors from the Food Network challenges on Facebook. I had him ask about what happens with all the cakes afterwards and he was told they get trashed because of the same reason mentioned above, they aren't made in a food environment and he was also told that the insurance costs would be extremely high and they'd have to have everything done through the health department. I asked if they couldn't at least give them to shelters and was told no, they have to go in the trash.
I would like to think that in situations like this the cake would be recreated for the people, but then again, I suppose it would be difficult because of logistics.

cownsj Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:10am
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDiwa

Off topic - is it just me or does anyone else hate the new format of Food Network Challenge? The darkness, the new host ugh, just puts me off. I did notice though that on Ultimate Cake Off they say that the cake actually consumed at the event is not the same one made during the competition, so hopefully it just means they didn't get to eat that particular cake but did still get a version of the one that won.

I'm with you, I don't like the new format/host either. I think she's hosting different similar shows and I don't think (I could be wrong), but it doesn't seem she is a pastry/cake, professional. I really miss Keegan hosting it. I much prefer an expert talking and educating, not just a rah rah girl. I wouldn't have believed the difference that could make in the show, but it is not remotely as exciting in this format.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:22am
post #18 of 29

Oh my gosh! It seems I have to go to CC to read my local paper! I should start reading it more. This is sad.

mazz Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 10:57am
post #19 of 29

I also do not like the new foodnetwork format. The host is not appealing to me for this show and I do not like the new format. Ultimate Cake Off was done to be like Foodnetwork so why would Foodnetwork want to be like Ultimate Cake Off. I truly miss the old days when the competitors on Foodnetwork had a theme in advance and were able to do everything they wanted - no tricks, gimicks or surprises. I want to see the artistry and real drama. It's cake - it's 6 or 8 hours and they are Fantastic.

Just my opinion.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:26pm
post #20 of 29

Seriously, would anyone WANT to eat one of those cakes? Too many hands and not enough handwashing. Gross.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:30pm
post #21 of 29

How expensive it must be then for the competitors! Because you have to prepare everything for the competition (baking, supplies, molds etc), ship everything in specialty containers (freezer etc), make the cake and then if you win, make it again! I'm remembering what Buddy Valastro said in one discussion, that it actually costs him more to compete, and it's really all for bragging rights.

On the other issue, CC should petition Food Network!

7yyrt Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:15pm
post #22 of 29

Food Network gives them $3,000 for supplies. (I don't know this personally, but several CC members compete).

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:24pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazz

I also do not like the new foodnetwork format. The host is not appealing to me for this show and I do not like the new format. Ultimate Cake Off was done to be like Foodnetwork so why would Foodnetwork want to be like Ultimate Cake Off. I truly miss the old days when the competitors on Foodnetwork had a theme in advance and were able to do everything they wanted - no tricks, gimicks or surprises. I want to see the artistry and real drama. It's cake - it's 6 or 8 hours and they are Fantastic.

Just my opinion.

I agree. I recorded an episode on the DVR because I didn't recognize the title and thought it was new. Turns out it was from 2006, and yes... it was so much more fun to watch, much better format than they do now.

I'm also rather ticked that they quit having specials around Christmastime where they showcased the big sugar arts show from Oklahoma (state? city?). I loved seeing the anything the designer can dream of wedding cakes and gingerbread houses. Now they've replaced them with This-Food-Network-Star (who already has their own show and we see ALL the time) cooks with This-Other-Food-Network-Star (who also has their own show and we can see them any day we want to) cooking together for the holidays. Whoop-de-freakin'-do! If they want to do that, they can dedicate an episode of their own shows to that. Why take away the best thing they have (I look forward to the sugar arts show all year) for something so mundane. I've tried leaving feedback on the Food Network site (can't find a phone # on the site to call), but I always get an error message when I hit the post (or whatever they call it) button.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:27pm
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Food Network gives them $3,000 for supplies. (I don't know this personally, but several CC members compete).

If I remember that thread right, it's Ultimate Cake Off that gives them $3000. Food Network only gave about $400, and in both cases, it was after the episode, so they had to front the entire cost of preparing.

7yyrt Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:34pm
post #25 of 29

Was it? Oops - ignore then.

Maynard628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maynard628 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 2:08am
post #26 of 29

Does anyone know why they went with the new host? Claire Robinson? Personally her voice is annoying. I mean, does anyone know why Pat Coston is no longer on the show? I was just curious. I just got use to the same crew. I've taped their shows since the beginning and I like them better than Ultimate Cake off.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:29pm
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Seriously, would anyone WANT to eat one of those cakes? Too many hands and not enough handwashing. Gross.

I'm with you 100% on that! I also think cake should look pretty when sliced and plated and I've watched them take hunks of cake and just smoosh them into gaps and spaces. I would imagine that a lot of those cakes would just come apart if someone tried to cut them.

cownsj Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:42pm
post #28 of 29

Ahhh, just looked her up. She's the host of Food Network's "5 Ingredient Fix".

I really prefer a professional, very accomplished pastry/cake chef. Keegan always offered a great insight throughout the competition.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:03pm
post #29 of 29

Sharon zambito said that the cakes they make get thrown out and they serve sheet cakes at the actual party.

BTW: I can't link to the article.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%