Need Help Please~!

Decorating By jdogga Updated 30 Aug 2005 , 7:02pm by jdogga

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 12:06am
post #1 of 17

OK...I have to make a record made out of MMF and enough black fondant to cover 3 music notes. I tried to make the Chocolate MMF but it's not working very well! I have it all together and when i roll it out it just breaks! I need to make black fondant and it's not going to happen! haha Can I use the Wilton spray colour to make it all black or will that wreck the MMF???
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Judith

16 replies
bjcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjcakebaker Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 12:24am
post #2 of 17

The easiest way to make black mmf is to make the mmf and then color it black with food coloring. Thats what we do!

jdogga Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 12:39am
post #3 of 17

how much food colouring does it take though to go black?? I have heard people fighting with it for hours to get it black!

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 12:45am
post #4 of 17

The easiest way to get black is to start with making your MMF deep brown, then start adding the black.

Debbi

jdogga Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 12:50am
post #5 of 17

Can I spray it with the black colour spray or is that a bad idea??

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 1:07am
post #6 of 17

Don't spray it! It will make it very tacky to touch, the colour will look uneven and it will also leave a bad taste as well. I did that on some black fondant that still had cornstarch on it and that is exactly what happened.

Is it still cracking? Try working a little water back into it and also roll it on cornstarch rather than powdered sugar. I find the MMF absorbs more powered sugar thereby making it drier while the cornstarch works even better than the powered sugar.

Good luck!

jdogga Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 1:14am
post #7 of 17

i thought starting with the choc fondant it would go black faster...but it's not! I will keep trying but I don't know about this!
thanks everyone

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 1:42am
post #8 of 17

Here's what I do: As soon as you take your mixture out of the microwave, stir and then add the food coloring BEFORE you add the powdered sugar. It's much easier and doesn't require much paste at all. I have also made chocolate mmf and again added the black paste before the powdered sugar. Works every time! Good luck!

jdogga Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 1:47am
post #9 of 17

I actually tried that! I put the colour in the water before I put the water in the mixture...I have a brownish green colour now, but it's not very easy to roll out...it keeps breaking! (it's choc fondant) I have added water and it's just getting sticky! Should I put it back in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it b/c it's getting hard and i can't play with it anymore!

bonniesido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniesido Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 2:01am
post #10 of 17

I recently used black mmf on a Darth Vader cake and I added the black food coloring as soon as it came out of the micrewave before I added the powdered sugar just as Rexy says she does hers. It worked just fine! I to have found that corn starch works much better than powdered sugar when rolling the mmf. Good luck!

Rexy Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 12:01pm
post #11 of 17

jdogga,
I've had that happen to me when making the chocolate fondant. I've found that I've been adding too much melted chocolate. Be careful how much you add. As far as adding the black, this step is important, WAIT until after you micro, stir the marshmallow and water, THEN add the paste. I promise it will work. I guess my only question would be, what kind of color paste are you using? I use the Wilton.

jdogga Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 12:32pm
post #12 of 17

I'm using Wilton (not paste though...just the normal colour...gell I guess??) I might try it tonight with white MMF instead of the chocolate (I can't even roll it out properly!)

Rexy Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 1:12pm
post #13 of 17

This may be a stupid question, but does your black come in a tube? My guess would be that it's the gel that may be the problem. Good luck!

Sangria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangria Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 1:26pm
post #14 of 17

In the book, "Colette's Wedding Cakes", she does a red cake with fondant, and colors it using a sponge. She dabbed on the color or something to this effect. Perhaps you could go take a look at that book? It looked very easy to do, but I can't remember how she did it, or what kind of sponge she used. I think she used a sponge.

jdogga Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 1:57pm
post #15 of 17

my colouring is in a little bottle...It's jelly-like.
I might try using the sponge techinique...thanks for the ideas everyone! It is for a record so it needs to be very black!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 6:43pm
post #16 of 17

For me, the key is putting the color into the melted marshmallow mix, right from the microwave. That is the color you end up once you start mixing in the powdered sugar. It really didn't take me that much when I used black and I have the Wilton kind, too.
HTH.
Tanya

jdogga Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 7:02pm
post #17 of 17

I'm going to try this tonight again!! thanks so much everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%