Can I Use Candy Clay To Cover A Cake?

Decorating By moochy720 Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm by metria

moochy720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moochy720 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:36am
post #1 of 6

Hi everybody! I'm making a birthday cake in a few weeks and am not too fond of fondant (no play on words intended). I used the "Candy Clay for Modeling & 3D Figures" recipe from this site a few months back to make some figures for another cake and it worked wonderfully and tasted delicious! Does anybody know if I can cover a cake with this type of candy clay like one would with fondant? I'm probably going to make a test cake to try it out, but I'm not going to spend time doing that if there's no hope it will work. Thanks for your help!

5 replies
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:09am
post #2 of 6

I also use the modeling chocolate for figures. I have not yet used it to cover a cake, but in a previous post I read there were a few that used it all the time to cover their cakes so I would go for it icon_biggrin.gif

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:04am
post #3 of 6

I haven't tried it but if you do please let us know how it turns out. Interesting idea though since everyone seems to hate fondant.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:30am
post #4 of 6

Instead of the whole candy clay stuff you might be able to just use candy melts by them selves, like a poured icing. I've thought about it but never really had the opportunity.

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 6

I've covered a cake in it and also made a mixture that was 1/2 fondant 1/2 modeling chocolate. You can definitely cover a cake in it. I think it tastes better than fondant too, but some ppl still struggle with the consistency more than anything else. Good luck!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 6

you can cover a cake with it but use the technique like you would with marzipan (i have several books that instruct how to cover a fruit cake with marzipan).

e.g. if it's a round cake, you'd roll and cut out a circle for the top, then a long rectangular strip that would roll around the side of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%