Can I Use Candy Clay To Cover A Cake?

Decorating By moochy720 Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm by metria

moochy720 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:36am
post #1 of 6

Hi everybody! I'm making a birthday cake in a few weeks and am not too fond of fondant (no play on words intended). I used the "Candy Clay for Modeling & 3D Figures" recipe from this site a few months back to make some figures for another cake and it worked wonderfully and tasted delicious! Does anybody know if I can cover a cake with this type of candy clay like one would with fondant? I'm probably going to make a test cake to try it out, but I'm not going to spend time doing that if there's no hope it will work. Thanks for your help!

5 replies
AnotherCreation Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:09am
post #2 of 6

I also use the modeling chocolate for figures. I have not yet used it to cover a cake, but in a previous post I read there were a few that used it all the time to cover their cakes so I would go for it icon_biggrin.gif

casme Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:04am
post #3 of 6

I haven't tried it but if you do please let us know how it turns out. Interesting idea though since everyone seems to hate fondant.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:30am
post #4 of 6

Instead of the whole candy clay stuff you might be able to just use candy melts by them selves, like a poured icing. I've thought about it but never really had the opportunity.

rcolson13 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 6

I've covered a cake in it and also made a mixture that was 1/2 fondant 1/2 modeling chocolate. You can definitely cover a cake in it. I think it tastes better than fondant too, but some ppl still struggle with the consistency more than anything else. Good luck!

metria Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 6

you can cover a cake with it but use the technique like you would with marzipan (i have several books that instruct how to cover a fruit cake with marzipan).

e.g. if it's a round cake, you'd roll and cut out a circle for the top, then a long rectangular strip that would roll around the side of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%