A Scratch Recipe For White/yellow Cake

Baking By vincenta Updated 27 Feb 2014 , 5:57pm by Linda2cakes

vincenta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vincenta Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:32am
post #1 of 11

I have to make a large cake for a family member who wants it made from scratch. I have tried many scratch recipes over the years and find it is such a hit or a miss and was just wondering whether anyone has a white/yellow scratch cake they do not mind sharing. I only bake and decorate for family and friends as I am much too nervous to make for real customers.

10 replies
Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:43am
post #2 of 11

I loved "A Better White Scratch Cake" in the recipe section. If you don't mind a yellow cake you can use whole eggs instead of whites (2 whole=3 whites in case the recipe doesn't say). I had a lot of trouble with WASC and this cake turned out perfect for me. Good Luck!

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:48am
post #3 of 11

Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake and the White on White Buttermilk Cake from the Pastry Queen are exceptionally moist and have a great flavor.

vincenta Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:48am
post #4 of 11

Thanks, I've just found the better white scratch cake and will try it.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:54am
post #5 of 11

I've not tried white on white (WOW) that can be found in the recipe section, but a lot of CCers seem to like it.

My favorite yellow cake recipe is Toba Garret's version. Not everyone can say the same though. I've tried Sylvia Weinstock's classic recipe, but it wasn't for me. For me, Toba's was very moist and buttery tasting.

Here's the link to the great yellow scratch off:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633981&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 11

Smitten Kitchen's Best Birthday Cake turns out perfect for me. It's yellow cake. Here's the link.
http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/07/best-birthday-cake/#comment-360845

donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 11

I use the confetti cakes vanilla recipe and it's moist and delicious. She uses egg whites only.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmo4ab

Smitten Kitchen's Best Birthday Cake turns out perfect for me. It's yellow cake. Here's the link.

I hear this recipe is nice and moist. On a scale of 1-10 what do you give this cake for moist? (10 being perfect)
Thanks icon_smile.gif

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy383

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmo4ab

I hear this recipe is nice and moist. On a scale of 1-10 what do you give this cake for moist? (10 being perfect)
Thanks icon_smile.gif

Ivy383,

Compared to other scratch yellow/white cakes I've baked or eaten, I'd give it a 9. It's moist while still maintaining a light texture. It only dries just a tiny, tiny bit on the edges, but that might be more the fault of my oven than the recipie.

vincenta Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 8:40pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you all so much for your help... now I have a number of good recipes to pick from. You are all so helpful. Thanks

Linda2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda2cakes Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 11

ADo you have the recipe that I can try? White cake from scratch that is moist and doesn't taste like corn bread. Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%