Ribbon On Buttercream

Decorating By klinesmommy Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 12:32pm by dmo4ab

klinesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klinesmommy Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 4

Hi- just wondering how to put ribbon around a cake frosted in buttercream? Won't the oils stain the ribbon?
Thanks,
Amy

3 replies
Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:58am
post #2 of 4

I've never had a problem with it and I just add a little water to help stick. Let the buttercream crust first.

auntmandys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmandys Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:28am
post #3 of 4

I read somewhere on another forum about ironing the ribbon between wax paper. The ribbon will absorb some of the wax and make it grease proof. I do that for all my satin ribbon and it works great. I have done it without and had some grease absorption on the ribbon. Like from if I made a repair or had to pipe near it. I make sure my icing is crusted before applying the ribbon as well. I usually use tape to attach,in back. However, I have used a pin, but I prefer not to for safety. I am worried that someone will serve it with the pin in. Hope this helps. Also they make a water proof ribbon, I think it's called aqua ribbon. It works ok, it doesn't absorb but I don't like it. I would rather iron the satin between wax paper.

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 4

I've done this a couple of times on wedding cakes. I always wait and attach the ribbon when I deliver and set up and have not had any problems. I just wrap it around the cake and secure with a straight pin at the back. Just be sure you tell the server that the pin is there. They can just pull it out, uncurl the ribbon, and serve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%