Help!! "flipping" The Top Layer (14" Round)

Decorating By btsmama Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 2:37am by auntmandys

btsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btsmama Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 5

AAhhh!! I just had a huge failure. The biggest layer I've ever done has been 12". I'm making my cousins wedding cake for this Saturday. I have no idea how I'm supposed to get the top of the 14" layer onto the bottom? I just tried and well....let's just say I'm baking another 14" round cake. icon_redface.gif Should I try to find freezer space and freeze it so it's nice and hard before moving?

4 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 5

I would slightly chill it...cakes that are chilled are easier to move. What I have done with my 14 inchers....is put it on the cake board and then line it up against the edge of the bottom cake and flip it fast. And I slowly slide it into place. Sometimes some filling oozes out...but I just wipe that off. I dont know what other method to use...unless your cake is really chilled and you can easily handle it with your hands... icon_confused.gif

Hope this helped icon_wink.gif

missymayflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missymayflower Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 5

Hold the layer that needs to be flipped between two cake boards, and flip it. Now you have the layer upside down on a cake board. Line up the edges and slide the board out from between the layers. This is what works for me. It always works better if the cake is well chilled, but I've done it a few times without chilling due to lack of fridge/freezer space. Good luck.

btsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btsmama Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 5

thank you icon_smile.gif I'm going to try that.

auntmandys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmandys Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:37am
post #5 of 5

I went to answer this the first time and somehow posted it as a new topic in the forum. Sorry. Good thing this isn't a question on how to reply! lol. I couldn't help at all! lol!

Are you talking about out of the pan? If so I always flip onto a cooling rack. When I flip it from the cooling rack I flip it on to a cake board, if you need it the other way, flip it again onto another cake board. (extra cake boards are always handy especially for the bigger cakes) I hope this helps, (and that I made sense). Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%