Puppy Rant

Lounge By tmac670 Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 3:58pm by 7yyrt

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 9

So my dog has this awesome bloodline. Not that it really matters to me. My husband wants a male dog from that bloodline- so we breed her. 9 weeks later not a single puppy has sold and I spend my day picking up 'puppy piles and puddles'. My carpet is ruined, they are eating me out of house and home and I am exhausted from the day to day care. I should note that we do not have a fenced in yard-- which is not a problem for my other dogs- but puppies don't know yet- so they are every where. A single person can not wrangle 5 German Shepard Dogs- it is just not possible! I gotta go now- walk time---uggggh. So over it!

8 replies
fafruia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fafruia Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 9

I used to breed Boxers and Weimaraners. The frustration that you communicated in your post is what I try and tell other rookie breeders. It's not all cute and fun, and you CERTAINLY don't ever make the money you expect in the beginning! I no longer breed. I fall in love with the pups, and then have no idea what happens to them once they leave my loving care. Found out years later that one of the female Boxers I sold spent 5 years of her life in a small cage, breeding 1-2 times a year and had almost no interaction with people at all. Never again! I'll stick to baking cakes, I could care less what folks do with them once they leave my hands!!!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 9

fafruia I absolutely love your signature line icon_biggrin.gif

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 9

Where in Florida are you!?! German Shepherds are my absolute favorite and mine died about two years ago. I'll be in Mobile, AL this weekend... if you were semi-close I'd consider coming to get one to help you out!

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 9

We have bred our boxer before and she had a liter of 9... can you say PITA?!?! It was super hard on all of us, including our dog because she got an infection when they were a week old and so we had to bottle feed them all for a few weeks... UGH!!! We got her fixed and no more puppies for us. I so feel your pain... good luck and maybe if you give them some cake they will chill a lil bit... LOL!!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 9

This is why breeding dogs for a hobby and to make a bunch of money or to recoup the cost of your dog is a crappy idea. Have you checked any shelters lately? Most of them have bunches of pure bred dogs that aren't cute little puppies anymore and there aren't enough homes for them. "Backyard breeders" are the single largest contributor to pet over population in America today. Enjoy your excellently bred dog for what she is, a great pet.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 9

Just wanted to add that for outside help for you, they do make puppy corals that are temporary and easy to set up and take down in seconds that could REALLY help you with outside training.

House trained pets go a lot faster than ones that aren't trained, not everyone has the time to train them and that could be a good selling point if they're already housebroken!

Here is one of the corals

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/precision-eight-panel-wire-pens-reviews

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm
post #8 of 9

I wonder if you can donate them to the police department or the organization that trains seeing eye dogs.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 9

Why are you handling it all? Make hubby help.

He wanted her bred, he picks up the puppy puddles and chunks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%