Would Like Advice For Smbc/imbc & Perishable Filling Use

Decorating By J1977 Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm by donnella2045

J1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J1977 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 3

I prefer the taste of SMBC/IMBC and mousse/perishable fillings but the thought of them going bad really scares me. So far I've been making shelf stable cakes and like them but would like to step up my game a bit.

I know the cakes have to be refrigerated on and off while decorating and also until the delivery but how long do they need to defrost for the cake not to be hard? Also is it common sense with customers that they know a perishable cake can't sit out for hours or do you have to stress to them so nobody gets sick and blames you? How does that work if you deliver to a wedding site at 4:00ish for a 6:00 reception and the cake sits out the rest of the evening - is it good to take home or are specific arrangements made with the wedding planner to accomodate this type of cake.

Sorry so long any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2 replies
mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 3

Sorry, I have no answers for you. I asked a question looking for a fresh strawberry filling and was told fresh fruit always needed to be refrigerated. So I was thinking the same thing....if YOU keep it refrigerated while you are working on it and then deliver it to a wedding site and it sits on display for a number of hours prior to serving....who is responsible for that? Does that mean that everyone only does non-perishable fillings in their wedding cakes? Curious to see the feedback on your question.

donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 3

SMBC is stable because the egg whites get cooked to 160 degrees. I have read that it can stay out for up to two days. I make it all the time but won't take any chances with keeping it out in warm weather. If I am making the cake and decorating it the day before pick up, I make sure that the cake/cupcakes are kept in the fridge or somewhere cool. I tell my customers to take it out of the fridge a few hours before serving and bring it to room temperature. I have never had a problem with leaving it out for several hours, even overnight. I would not suggest it for outdoors unless it's not in the sun or hot weather for several hours. It is yummy! I have made cream based filling and follow the same procedure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%