Fee's For An Llc

Business By armywife1 Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 6:26pm by TracyLH

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 12

Just wondering what fees are associated with becoming an LLC. Are they yearly fees? Quarterly fees? Also, is there a website where one can check if a business name is already taken?

TIA

11 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 12

There aren't annual fees really. I used LegalZoom to set mine up.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 12

same here. I had my attorney set the whole thing up and there were never any subsequent fees after that.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 12

You can check your state's Secretary of State's website to see if a name is already in use.

Normally there is an annual renewal fee that needs to be paid which is typically lower than your initial fee when you first file. Fees vary by state, if you have any questions your SOS's office should be able to help otherwise you may want to consider an attorney.

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 12

I used LegalZoom also.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 12

Most states allow you to file right online and do name search, no need for an attorney. Fees vary by state and in some states there is an annual renewal fee, (my state for instance) but every state is different. Just check out your state's website and look for a link to starting a business or words to that effect. Good luck.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 12

My state also allows you to file for LLC directly on the State website. For me, it was 1/3 the price of Legal Zoom, and the application was only about 10 questions long.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 12

You really, really, really, really DON'T need an attorney to set up an LLC. My husband is an attorney, and when someone calls and asks him to set up an LLC for them, he just walks them through it on the Sec. of State website, for free. And don't get suckered into that website that will give you your EIN for a hefty fee, either. All you need to do is contact the IRS directly, and you will have your EIN within minutes. Also for free.

Setting up my LLC took, literally, 10 minutes -- including printing out the paperwork and addressing the envelope.

The fee for setting up your LLC will vary by state, but if you call the Sec of State office for your state, they will likely walk you through it. Again, for free.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:09am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

You can check your state's Secretary of State's website to see if a name is already in use.

Dont' forget to check the National Database of names that are already TM'd. Even if it doesn't show up on your state's Secretary of State's website, doesn't mean it's not taken. If it shows up as being trademarked then it's not available and other issues may arrise later.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:53am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

Dont' forget to check the National Database of names that are already TM'd. Even if it doesn't show up on your state's Secretary of State's website, doesn't mean it's not taken. If it shows up as being trademarked then it's not available and other issues may arrise later.

As long as the SOS doesn't reject your LLC name you can still file under that name and then do business under another name. i.e. John Doe LLC, a Iowa limited liability company DBA Iowa Sweat Treats

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for the useful info DebbyJG!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 6:26pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you all for this very helpful information!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%