Made A Great Find!!!

Decorating By mamawrobin Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 1:32am by mamawrobin

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 27

I found a 57 piece play-dough cutter set the other day at my local dollar store. It has a really cool alphabet and number set and several animal and flower cutters. I only paid $7.50 for it and the cutters work just as good as my fondant cutters.

I just had to share because I've been looking for a different size alaphabet but never dreamed I'd find it in the toy section of the dollar store icon_lol.gif It also came with 14 cans of play-dough that I gave to my grandson thumbs_up.gif

Just wanted to add that it was on sale for half price!

26 replies
JackRussellJulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackRussellJulie Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 27

I use a play-dough toy I bought for £7 instead of an extruder.

Amazing what you can pick up in the toy department! icon_biggrin.gif

RobynLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynLM Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 27

That's awesome! Guess where I am going this weekend... icon_wink.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 27

Great find!! I love it when I get something for a good deal! You and your grandson both got new toys. icon_biggrin.gif

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 27

Woohoo!! I love a good find too! Congrats!

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

It also came with 14 cans of play-dough that I gave to my grandson thumbs_up.gif!

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif YOU have a grandson??? WOW! looking at your profile picture I'd say you are my age!!! gosh you are one pretty grandma!
oh great find on the gumpaste cutters icon_lol.gif
- h

DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 27

that sounds like a great deal but can you tell us the name of the dollar store because near me its just the Dollar general, Fammily dollar and Dollar Tree, is it any of these stores? thank you

RobynLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynLM Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyscakes

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif YOU have a grandson??? WOW! looking at your profile picture I'd say you are my age!!! gosh you are one pretty grandma!
- h

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Too funny!

mamawrobin Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

It also came with 14 cans of play-dough that I gave to my grandson thumbs_up.gif!

- h

Thank you so much for the compliment icon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gif Actually I have 6 granchildren. My oldest is 10 and my youngest is 10 months. I have 7 children and their ages are 32, 30, 25, 21, 19, 17 and 15. Six boys and 1 daughter.

mamawrobin Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALIG

that sounds like a great deal but can you tell us the name of the dollar store because near me its just the Dollar general, Fammily dollar and Dollar Tree, is it any of these stores? thank you

I found them at Dollar General.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 27

Thanks for sharing mamawrobin! I'll have to check that out.

I have a "find" too.
At wal-mart in the kitchen gadget aisle I found a set of 3 biscut cutters. one side is flat and the other side is fluted. (heavy plastic) I think I paid 2.88 or 2.97 for them.
I made trim for a shirt and a thank you plaque with them so far.

mamawrobin Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:23pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany29

Thanks for sharing mamawrobin! I'll have to check that out.

I have a "find" too.
At wal-mart in the kitchen gadget aisle I found a set of 3 biscut cutters. one side is flat and the other side is fluted. (heavy plastic) I think I paid 2.88 or 2.97 for them.
I made trim for a shirt and a thank you plaque with them so far.

I have that same set that I found at Wal-Mart thumbs_up.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 11:07pm
post #13 of 27

Thanks for sharing! I love great deals and finding new tools to use.

drummerg68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drummerg68 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 5:03am
post #14 of 27

I just wanted to post for those of us that don't have a Family Dollar the I found a 35+ piece set at Big lots for $5.50 its basically the same thing with a few less cutters. It even includes the play-dough lol.

honeyscakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #15 of 27

Thank you so much for the compliment icon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gif Actually I have 6 granchildren. My oldest is 10 and my youngest is 10 months. I have 7 children and their ages are 32, 30, 25, 21, 19, 17 and 15. Six boys and 1 daughter.[/quote]
icon_eek.gif WOW!!!
icon_smile.gif you are very pretty icon_biggrin.gif
-h

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:56pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:

Thank you so much for the compliment icon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gif Actually I have 6 granchildren. My oldest is 10 and my youngest is 10 months. I have 7 children and their ages are 32, 30, 25, 21, 19, 17 and 15. Six boys and 1 daughter.

icon_eek.gif WOW!!!
icon_smile.gif you are very pretty icon_biggrin.gif
-h[/quote]

And YOU are very sweet icon_biggrin.gif I was feeling kind of down today so you may never know just how much your post meant to me icon_biggrin.gif

honeyscakes Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:28pm
post #17 of 27

And YOU are very sweet icon_biggrin.gif I was feeling kind of down today so you may never know just how much your post meant to me icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]
awwww I am glad I was able to bring a smile to you icon_smile.gif
I hope you feel better!
- h

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:30pm
post #18 of 27

Post some pics please.... I wanna see...
and mamawrobin... U LOOK GOOD For being a GRAMMY!!!! pat urself on the back!

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:56pm
post #19 of 27

icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif Thank you...thank you....thank you...you guys have made my day icon_biggrin.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:17pm
post #20 of 27

I have a question about this. I also use Play-Doh things (presses, cutters, etc) and mentioned it to a friend who is also a baker. (I thought I was giving him a tip!) He strongly warned me not to let a health inspector see it in my kitchen. He said they aren't approved for food and I would be fined if caught. I know we all use things that aren't approved for food...molds for clay, etc...but is it true that you will be fined if caught using them...or even having them in your kitchen? I have to think the health inspector saw those things in my kitchen (in a different city than I'm in now) and never said a word about it.

Another great tip I got from someone on here....Don't pay $25 for the large Wilton fondant roller. Buy a piece of PVC at your home improvement store and use that! (Sanitize it first, of course.) You can cut it to the length you want and it's only around $2.00! I have mine cut at 24"...it's sturdy and doesn't bend. AND, the Wilton fondant "thickness guides" will fit it just fine.

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:30pm
post #21 of 27

I love the PVC pipe because it's so light that it doesn't leave an impression on my fondant if I leave it resting on there a minute. I'm not really sure about the play dough tools but I also use a clay extruder and clay cutters. I would imagine if the toy cutters were a no no then the extruder would be as well. Good point though. I never really give it much thought.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 10:42pm
post #22 of 27

mamawrobin, you might be the person who told me about using PVC. If so, THANKS! It works great! thumbs_up.gif

I also never really give a thought about using Play-Doh extruders, cutters, etc...and I use the ones for clay, too. (There are some beautiful molds for clay...lace, etc...and they cost about $4 compared to the ones my baking supply store sells for $30+!) But...I also don't want to be fined for using them. So...out of sight??? icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:07pm
post #23 of 27

tapedshut.gif No kidding. I don't understand why it has to cost so much more for fondant/gumpaste tools than those made for clay. icon_confused.gif A few more tools that I have in my cake decorating "toolbox"...paint roller, paint scraper, sheet rock tools, etc. I'm sure none of them are approved for food either but goodness they certainly make my job alot easier. And they don't break the bank. Like you said....outta sight??? icon_lol.gif

tron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tron Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:21pm
post #24 of 27

Man, I miss Dollar General.....we don't have them here in OR. Sometimes I actually miss being back home....AR.
WOW!!! You do look great.....just like my Mom!!! There are 7 of us also along with a slew of grand kids.

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:45pm
post #25 of 27

When I was working in a bakery inside a supermarket, they got a warning for using a regular microwave, they had to buy a "commercial" model, it was stainless steel at a restaurant supply store, so I guess they could fine you for those tools, but I'm not sure.

mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:30am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron

Man, I miss Dollar General.....we don't have them here in OR. Sometimes I actually miss being back home....AR.
WOW!!! You do look great.....just like my Mom!!! There are 7 of us also along with a slew of grand kids.

I would hate not having Dollar General... icon_lol.gif Where in Arkansas are you from?

mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:32am
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeladyatLA

When I was working in a bakery inside a supermarket, they got a warning for using a regular microwave, they had to buy a "commercial" model, it was stainless steel at a restaurant supply store, so I guess they could fine you for those tools, but I'm not sure.

Off topic, but I love your purple cake thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%