Edible Ink Probelm

Decorating By eznoc Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 9:21pm by LisaR64

eznoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eznoc Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 30

Every time I have a very concentrated color, especially blacks, the image greats streaked by the rollers. I've tried messing around with printers settings but it still streaks. Has anyone had this problem before or knows how to fix it? Should I try a different type of paper? Currently I'm using Lucks Edible Image Print Ons. Thanks for your help ahead of time.

29 replies
eznoc Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 30

I should describe the problem a little better. The streaks are vertical and are caused by the rollers that pull the paper through the printer. I believe that the ink isn't drying/be absorbed fast enough. We have a fairly high volume of edible images and I clean the head at least once a week.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 30

Where do you get your ink? I would call them to troubleshoot.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 30

If your inks are up and down the page, then you are getting roller marks. What printer are you using? What paper type and settings do you print on? If you are getting them left to right, then you may have trouble with your printhead banding. Same questions above will help to solve the problem.

eznoc Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

If your inks are up and down the page, then you are getting roller marks. What printer are you using? What paper type and settings do you print on? If you are getting them left to right, then you may have trouble with your printhead banding. Same questions above will help to solve the problem.

I'm 99% sure it's rollers marks. I have a Cannon PIXMA MX 700. I've tried the entire gamut of paper types/print settings. The best two I've found is on the absolute lowest settings with plain paper gives me dull but generally blemish free images. If the person wants really dark colors (blacks etc) I usually print on highest quality with Photo Paper Plus Gloss II. It makes the colors darker but it almost always streaks but it's the least amount of streaking. The printer prints perfectly on normal paper so I guess it's either the ink not drying fast enough or the paper not absorbing the ink fast enough. Maybe a combination of the two.

icingimages Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 2:06am
post #6 of 30

First, to avoid the problem in the future, print on Paper type Matte, Glossy or other. Also, go to your printer preferences, select Maintenance, go to custom settings and select prevent paper abrasion.

Second, to fix the probem, open your printer up. Unplug it while it is still turned on. This will allow you to move the printhead freely back and forth. Take a thin rag and put it under the rollers from where the paper leaves the printer going in towards the inside of the printer. Spread the rag out as best you can. Pull the rag back and forth and you will see all kinds of gunk come out, You can use a can of air to spray any leftovers away. You can also dampen a small part of the rag and continue to pull it back and forth to take any final residue away. Take the rag out, spray the can of air on the inside and outside and then run several sheets of plain paper through until the rollers dry and the remaining crud is gone.

This should help fix the problem for you and help you to avoid it in the future!

eznoc Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 30

I've been having a different problem. Reds never seem to come out right. "Red" in photoshop comes out a salmon color. It doesn't seem to be a settings thing because I've tried just about everything. It seems like too much yellow is being added to reds but turning yellows all the way down in print settings doesn't do anything. Anyone have any idea what to do?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by eznoc

I've been having a different problem. Reds never seem to come out right. "Red" in photoshop comes out a salmon color. It doesn't seem to be a settings thing because I've tried just about everything. It seems like too much yellow is being added to reds but turning yellows all the way down in print settings doesn't do anything. Anyone have any idea what to do?

Can you turn the red all the way up and then adjust the blue partially up?

eznoc Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 30

I tried it and I still have the same results. I tried your suggestions with different color management and color correction settings and all the images were still not red.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 30

I have noticed a difference in the print quality depending what program I use to send it to the printer. No good from Word but works well from my PrintMaster.

eznoc Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 30

Tried printing it a a few different programs and still got the same thing.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:12pm
post #12 of 30

Maybe you could try downloading new drivers for your printer. Or if the drivers are not new, at least reloading what you have. Maybe they got out of whack??

eznoc Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:44pm
post #13 of 30

I've tried that as well. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a problem with the LUCKS edible ink or we need a new printer.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:54pm
post #14 of 30

If you want to try new ink I order all my supplies from tastyfotoart.com great product & service.

icingimages Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:40am
post #15 of 30

A few things to look at. First and most important, make sure your nozzles are all working by performing a nozzle check from the printer properties. If they are not all working, then you may need to clean the printhead. There could be other problems if the ink is over a year old. But not worth getting a new printer over. I can probably help you fix it. What ink are you using? What printer settings are you using? Start with the nozzle check, to be sure the printer is working properly. If not, I can help to guide you. Did the roller problem clear up?

eznoc Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 6:55pm
post #16 of 30

The roller problem can only be worked around. If I'm very careful I can remove the streaks by hand with a cotton swab. We have these textured cleaning sheets that you can put alcohol on that does a good job of cleaning the rollers. Cleaning them regularly seems to cut down a lot but it's still there.

As far as the color thing I've done a lot. Drivers, cleaned the printer head, checked for vacuum lock, used newer ink. messed with every setting combo I can think about etc. Normally we print on "fast" with +18 on the Cyan channel because there is a general red tint to things. I tried printing on auto and with Cyan at zero and the reds are screwed up. JUST red parts of images seem to be messed up.

Like I said, it seems like there is too much yellow in the reds but doing anything to the yellows in color corrections doesn't do anything.

icingimages Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:44am
post #17 of 30

Try changing your settings to allow for the paper abrasion like I previously posted. Tell me about these cleaning sheets? I am curious about them.
I am unsure as to the brand of ink you are using. There are diferent brands that produce different results. But you mention increasing the Cyan, have you thought about decreaseing the magenta? Also, we suggest with that machine that you print on Matte paper. You mention yellows, but what we notices with yellows is that it mainly makes pictures brighter. Are you changing the color settings in the printer properties or in the program you are using?

eznoc Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:30pm
post #18 of 30

Turning on prevent printer abrasion didn't seem to do anything but make a pop-up appear every time I printed. The cleaning sheets are basically a stiff cotton soaked with rubbing alcohol.

I'm using LUCKS edible ink refills. I'm changing to new ink carts so we'll see if that helps. They are Photofrost inks.

eznoc Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:34pm
post #19 of 30

I found the new cartridges while looking for some tweezers I found. I got a slight improvement in red color but it's still pinkish.

eznoc Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:35pm
post #20 of 30

Oh I forgot to mention that even with color correction set to auto the reds still come out weird. Changing the settings in any way doesn't seem to help either.

icingimages Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:48am
post #21 of 30

What settings are you printing on?

Rog2e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rog2e Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:25pm
post #22 of 30

Haven't read this thread through but will. I just wanted to add that I too have a lot of problems with my edible ink set up. I am using an canon MP 560 with the Kopycake Inks. These guys have a pretty cool way to really clean out the heads.

watch the whole video for the cleaning but the cool gadget they have is at about 3:53 second. Icingimages, what do you think about it?

icingimages Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:50pm
post #23 of 30

We experimented with the gadgets and decided to come up with a better ink that doesnt clog like the older inks. What we found when using that is that it can ruin the printhead due to the pressure of the water. Instead, for the older inks that are having problems clogging we use a steamer that has not caused any mechanical problems what so ever so far and it cleans it right up. Plus the steamer is great to use on other messes!!!! But rather than chasing the problems, we came out with our Gold Label Inks which just doesnt have the problems that other manufactuerers are having and if you do get a rare clog than our cleaner works great or if you must have a gadget, the steamer is great!

tiggy2 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:10am
post #24 of 30

Can a steamer be used on epsons or just on canons?

icingimages Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:21am
post #25 of 30

I tried it on an epson and killed it!!! Because the printhead cant come out on an Epson, like it does on a Canon, you can only use the steamer on the Canon. I have heard of people turning the Epson off, putting a paper towel or soft rag under the printhead mechnism of the Epson and carefully drip cleaning solution throught the printhead. I did this with the steamer and it died!!!! We really try to mess with everything at our office so that we can learn by doing so you dont have to!!! Sorry. Are you having problems with your Epson?

tiggy2 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:16pm
post #26 of 30

No, I'm not, I was just curious. It's never clogged on me I just wanted to know in case it ever does. I've had it for a few years and haven't had any problems with it so far. Do you have refill ink for epsons?

icingimages Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:36pm
post #27 of 30

Which Epson?

tiggy2 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:43pm
post #28 of 30

CX4200

icingimages Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:03pm
post #29 of 30

No, I dont, I only have it for the workforce series

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:21pm
post #30 of 30

I'm having problems with my red not printing right also. Followed all of the cleaning suggestions, put in a new red ink tank etc, and my reds are still coming out off-color. No problems with any other color..just the red. I'm using a Canon pixma 3500. Very strange.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%