Serving Size Discrepency!

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 6:38pm by prterrell

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 12

I have 2 different charts for serving size they are so different! I usally make way more than I am paid for but since I am in "business" now I need to get a better handle on this. One chart I have says an 6 inch cake will feed 8 and the other says 12 and for the 8 inch one says 15 and the other 24 that is a big difference. I belive one is wiltons and one is erlenes.

So what size cakes would you make for a 30 serving cake! Normally I would do a 8 and 10 which is way more than they are paying for. Thanks

11 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 12

I use the Wilton wedding chart for every cake I do.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 12

Is your cake 2" high or 4"? This could be part of the discrepancy.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 12

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

I use the above charge for serving amounts and for pricing.

If you are looking for tiered cakes then I'd say a 6in (12 servings) and an 8in (24 servings) would give you 36 servings. (Remember they pay for teh 36 servings they get not just the 30 they ask for.)

If you do a 8 and 10 then they would need to be paying for 62 servings. Which is twice as much cake as they want, and if you just charge for the 30 they asked for you just gave them 32 servings or half a cake for free.

Which if your serving price is $2 you cheated yourself out of $64 dallors. If your serving price is $2.5 then you lost $80. If your serving price is $3 then you paid them $96 dallors to let you do there cake.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 12

My cake tiers are 4 inches high.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 12

Wilton's chart is industry standard. Earlene's has larger servings, which really just means you're making less money for the same amount of effort.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 12

I use wilton wedding for all cakes (4" tall cakes).

Key to correct pricing is pick ONE serving chart and stick with it. They can cut it in however many pieces they want but your pricing is based on this one chart.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 12

I also used Wilton's.... DH once said to me... that seems like such a small piece of cake... r u sure that little cake can feed what u r stating?

I said... this is pretty much an industry standard.... now once they have the cake... they can cut it any way they want....

as said before... pick one... and stick with it... don't use one for X and another for Z... that's why u r getting things mixed up...

icon_smile.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 12

I use the Wilton (industry standard) size serving. I thought about using a larger slice but since almost everywhere a bride goes, this will be the serving size, I felt like it would be a waste of my money to make them larger pieces. If always explain just how large the slice is so they are aware of what they're getting. So if they feel like people need more cake they can order more. But I've come to realize that a 1x2x4 slice is really a pretty decent size slice of cake.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:07pm
post #10 of 12

I use Wilton's serving chart for weddings because most of the time they will have someone there who knows how to slice the cake correctly. I use earlene's for birthdays, because most people are going to cut pie slices. I'm not saying my method is correct, this is just what works for me. In the case of a birthday, and the way people slice the cake... I would rather give up a few servings to have a satisfied customer.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

So what size cakes would you make for a 30 serving cake! Normally I would do a 8 and 10 which is way more than they are paying for. Thanks

Everyone else gave some good information on the charts and information. Like a few stated, 1x2x4 is a standard industry serving my per serving price is this size, if they want bigger servings then they can order more cake.

What caught my attention is that you say "I would do an 8 and 10, which is way more than they are paying for." You should be charging the customer for how much the cake actually feeds, not how many people they want to feed.

If they want a cake that feeds 15, you can give them the following options.
6" round = 14
8" round = 25

or pick another shape to get closer to their serving size. The 8" will be more because it serves more, but that is up to them on how much they want to spend and if they plan on cutting larger pieces than what you have.

If you pick a different size serving, you use the same principal, just make sure they're paying for what you're making them, not how many servings they want.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:38pm
post #12 of 12

I did the actual math, calculating surface area and volume for cakes and servings and for the most part, Wilton's is right on the nose with the number of 1x2x4 servings. To maximize your profits, this is the chart you should use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%