Decorating By vick47 Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 9:36pm by KayMc

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:45am
post #31 of 43

Aaaagh! I'm blind! I'm blind!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:09am
post #32 of 43

[quote="costumeczar"]Freezing doesn't always improve cake, have you ever had something from Walmart? icon_wink.gif[/quote]

The problem with those cakes is that they freeze, thaw during transport and then refreeze once they're at the store, thaw for decorating then sometimes freeze again. Then you thaw it again at home.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:02am
post #33 of 43

In general, how much does a cake settle? Is it even measurable? It would be interesting to find out. If you plan on making a 4" tall cake, how tall does your cake need to be when you are finished filling it, before settling? Would anyone know?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:18am
post #34 of 43

Settling prevents bulging, primarily. I'd estimate a 1/4" loss.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:21am
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Settling prevents bulging, primarily. I'd estimate a 1/4" loss.

thank you!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:39am
post #36 of 43
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Freezing doesn't always improve cake, have you ever had something from Walmart? icon_wink.gif

The problem with those cakes is that they freeze, thaw during transport and then refreeze once they're at the store, thaw for decorating then sometimes freeze again. Then you thaw it again at home.

That's right, and a lot of people here advocate freezing then crumbcoating then freezing then decorating, etc. I don't freeze anything, and it's safer that way.

tomswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomswife Posted 5 May 2010 , 11:59am
post #37 of 43

now, those of you that are using a tile to weight down the cake - are you doing this while refrigerating or freezing, or just leaving it on the counter? Does it have a crumb coat on it? Does the tile not rip the crumb coat off when you remove it?

I am an advanced decorator but have been having the worst time with bubbling fondant - where the icing is sticking to the fondant and not the cake...??? I use butter, not shortening and will not change that...unless that is the issue?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:13pm
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomswife

I am an advanced decorator but have been having the worst time with bubbling fondant - where the icing is sticking to the fondant and not the cake...??? I use butter, not shortening and will not change that...unless that is the issue?

I use butter in my icing and it doesn't bubble. so don't worry about that! You might be putting the fondant on too thick, sometimes when you do that the weight of the fondant will pull itself down a little, and the bottom edge against the board will prevent it from moving, but the top part will shift, and you'll get a bubble. Does that make sense? It makes sense in my head, hahaha! If the fondant is rolled thin enough you don't usually get that happening, so the bubble would be because of air inside the cake.

tinag333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinag333 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:10pm
post #39 of 43

I'm new, hope you don't mind me joining in.

I agree that freezing the cake and/or the layers makes it a lot easier to handle and decorate but I have issues with the cake sweating if I freeze. Do you let it thaw completely before doing the final decorations?

SparkleKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SparkleKat Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:01pm
post #40 of 43
Quote:

Here's what I do:
Bake
Cool
Torte
Wrap
Freeze
Pull out of freezer
Thaw briefly
Wash
Fill
Re-wrap
Weight the top with a ceramic tile
Let sit 2-3 hours, up to 24 hours
Crumb coat/immediately ice.
Decorate

Thank you for the 'weighing' advice. I too am new at this, and any tips are greatly appreciated!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomswife

now, those of you that are using a tile to weight down the cake - are you doing this while refrigerating or freezing, or just leaving it on the counter? Does it have a crumb coat on it? Does the tile not rip the crumb coat off when you remove it?

done after cake is filled and before the crumb coat.

and some such as I are to impatient and just take a big cookie sheet and lay it on top and then SLOWLY PRESS down until we see the icing dam start to squish out the sides all the way around. -- has to be done with very even pressure or could crack the cake. get the same result as tile but faster.

FreeSpiritCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FreeSpiritCakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:56pm
post #42 of 43

"I agree that freezing the cake and/or the layers makes it a lot easier to handle and decorate but I have issues with the cake sweating if I freeze. Do you let it thaw completely before doing the final decorations?"

I also have this problem... in a major way! Especially with all the humidity we're having this summer... the fondant on my cakes look totally wet, sometimes for hours, when i decorate while still frozen. But I can't seem to get nice smooth and sharp sides, etc when covering thawed cakes. Any suggestions?

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 9:36pm
post #43 of 43

Is it ok to fill and crumbcoat, and THEN allow to settle overnight?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%