Need Help....soon!! Plleeeaasse.

Decorating By Sue9069 Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 12:30pm by Sue9069

Sue9069 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sue9069 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 9

So, I baked an 11x15 sheet cake with 2 mixes. I don't like the height of the cake and I need to finish it tonight for a ceremony tomorrow. What can I do to give some height to this cake, other than baking another cake?? I would like to gain about another 3/4 of an inch or so. Can anyone suggest something that would be relatively easy that would add some height.

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 9

You can torte the cake and add a layer of filling.

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 9

could you torte it and add some filling? not sure if you were doing that already though...

Sue9069 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 9

I hadn't planned on torting it, and I have never torted (that just doesn't sound right icon_lol.gif ) but I'm sure that I can figure it out. Next question. WHAT do I use to torte it that will give it the most additional height? Do I use a mousse type filling or alot of fruit filling using a buttercream dam?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 9

You have to think about how much filling you really want in there. With the fruit filling if you overdo it, you risk it seeping out, even with the buttercream dam. Also, most people don't want to eat two inches of cake with an inch of filling in the middle...unless they're kids icon_biggrin.gif

The other thing I wasn't thinking of at first was, how many servings do you need? Taller cake equals more servings you can get out of the same size cake. If you don't bake another layer to add to it, will you run short on servings?

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 9

don't use a lot of fruit filling. It will just leak and your cake could slide. I would suggest using either buttercream or a very stable mousse. In order to get that much height you should torte it twice. If you add 3/4" of filling there's a good chance the top layer will slide.

Sue9069 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 9

The number of servings really isn't an issue for this particular cake, so I don't need to worry about that. It's just the lack of height I don't think is attractive. icon_sad.gif I guess that 3/4 of an inch is pushing it maybe. I don't think that I could get it cut into 3 decent sizes (without wrecking it) to tort it twice. The person this cake is for likes strawberry and I suspect that maybe a stiff strawberry mousse might work. There are so many recipes on here and I just don't have any idea which to use. Oh, and I will not be able to refrigerate this cake once it leaves my house.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 9

Sounds to me like your only options are to torte or just bake another cake. You can torte and just add a layer of buttercream in the middle. granted, if you wanted to add another 3/4 inch of height, that might end up being a lot of frosting. Perhaps you could puree some raspberries or strawberries and mix that with the frosting you're going to put in the middle. Perhaps pick up a jar or two of lemon curd from the store.

Mmmm, a thin layer of lemon curd topped with a thin layer of raspberry buttercream. That sounds really good actually.

What flavor is the cake??

Sue9069 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 9

It's vanilla so any flavor would probably work. I could just slap myself!!!! icon_mad.gif After I put the batter in the pan I told myself to add another one, but I had never baked this size sheet cake and figured two would be good. Now I know. DARN IT!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%