Best Tasting Crusting Buttercream For Under Fondant

Baking By Linda01 Updated 30 Jul 2013 , 1:09pm by Terry11621

Linda01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda01 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:04am
post #1 of 9

Hi there,

I have searched and searched on here and now i'm confused so I thought i'd just ask the question, probably for the millionth time LOL I'm making 2 childrens cakes for Sunday and I have only ever used ganache under the fondant, this time i wanted to use buttercream. Can anyone suggest their best buttercream recipe for this purpose? Thanks

8 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:43am
post #2 of 9

I use Indydebi's buttercream.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:59am
post #3 of 9

I usually use ganache too but if I do use buttercream I just use the Australian Women's Weekly recipe - butter and icing sugar basically! I know US cakers have a lot more experience with buttercream but I think the crisco based icings taste very strange to us as we are not used to the mouthfeel of shortening (not to mention we can't get half the ingredients over here!)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:16am
post #4 of 9

I use Indydebi's recipe too, but I'm guessing that you probably can't get Dream Whip powder, and without it that recipe is just too greasy feeling.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:30am
post #5 of 9

Didn't notice where you were from when I first replied. I know that you can't get crisco there and like Texas_Rose stated if you can't get dream whip then this receipe isn't what you need.

What about the Buttercream Dream receipe in the most saved receipe here on cc. You could use all real butter instead of the crisco/butter combination. Just a suggestion but maybe that one would work for you.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:41am
post #6 of 9

We can't get dream whip here, I use sugarshacks recipe.

Linda01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda01 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:49am
post #7 of 9

thanks for your replies, I do have crisco I use it for my marshmallow fondant, theres a US store in Melbourne that imports a lot of US foods, I think for those interstate you can order online the website is www.usafoods.com.au. I just did a search and they have dreamwhip so I might try the indydebis one or the buttercream dream as I'm not sure about the whole crisco one. Thanks again guys icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:07am
post #8 of 9

i use the one recipe, and everyone loves it. Its 4oz of butter (real butter, unsalted) and 12oz of icing sugar, and a few drops of vanilla essense (and some times a few drops of milk if its too thick ) it crusts great, easy to get smooth and works/tastes great under fondant!

Terry11621 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terry11621 Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 9

Can your recipe be used under fondant in humid weather and at an outside party?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%