Best Frosting Recipe To Take On Many Other Flavors?

Baking By TickleMySweetTooth Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 5:45am by ladyk333

TickleMySweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickleMySweetTooth Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:01am
post #1 of 13

Hey all,

I was wondering what a good frosting recipe on the site is that takes on other flavors?
Anything from raspberry to hazelnut..

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

thanks!

12 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:40am
post #2 of 13

This takes flavorings well. I change it up quite frequently. And you can sub out the Crisco for more butter if you don't want to use shortening.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15014/ricks-special-buttercream-2

ladyk333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyk333 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 6:12am
post #3 of 13

HI! I am a very big fan of Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC). There is a great recipe if you search under "Most Saved Recipes" on this site. It is called "The Well Dressed Cake Swiss Meringue Buttercream". It gives lots of flavoring options, but you could really do anything you can dream up. It is very silky in texture without any grittiness (no powdered sugar used). It is a bit time consuming, but worth the effort. You do need a candy thermometer to make sure the egg whites get to 160 degrees.

Have fun!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 13

i vote for smbc too icon_smile.gif.
takes all kinds of flavor wonderfully and is silky smooth.
it does not crust.

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks for the new recipe suggestion CookieD-oh. I'm venturing into trying new frostings and cake recipes.

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 13

thanks so much!
that first one is similar to the one I'm using now.
I think I might give that swiss one a try!

thanks again!!!!

ladyk333 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 13

Just be sure to keep beating it after it goes through the soupy and curdled looking phases! A lot of people give up thinking they've ruined it, but not to worry, it is supposed to do that and will come together beautifully if you keep going. the only thing I find is that if I'm making a triple batch, the egg whites stay too warm, even when I've reached stiff peak, and therefore the whole thing stays a little too soft once I've added the butter. Leave enough time to refrigerate if need be to cool it down some and re beat.

So far I've made the chocolate, vanilla, added lemon curd, coconut, caramel, and I've even used brown sugar in place of white and added vanilla and cinnamon. All of them have been excellent and received rave reviews!

Good luck with it!

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 13

what is the staying power of SMBC? does it hold up well under mmf?

ladyk333 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 13

I've used it lots under MMF and it holds up well. Just don't let it get too warm. I wouldn't want it sitting in the hot sun or anything (it might get too soft). Also, the ingredients are perishable, so 4 - 5 hours out is probably tops (speak to your local health inspector). All leftovers must be refrigerated.

I let it get really cold after torting and crumbcoating with it and then scrape off any imperfections with a bench scraper (it becomes firm, like butter). I then apply the fondant and get it cold again (I do not live in a humid climate and have never had problems refrigerating fondant). It does become soft as it warms, but in my experiences it has still worked out.

good luck with it. It tastes fabulous!

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 11:03pm
post #10 of 13

thanks so much!
So do you know how much 1 recipe makes? Would it be enough to pipe frosting on 12 cupcakes?

ladyk333 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:37am
post #11 of 13

It is enough to frost 24 cupcakes nicely (I use a 1M or 2D Wilton tip and swirl it nicely). That is if you use the "Well Dressed Cake SMBC" from the Most Saved Recipes section.

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:43am
post #12 of 13

thanks so much!

ladyk333 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:45am
post #13 of 13

You're very welcome! I hope it all works out well for you.

Cheers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%