Tips For Stacking Cake Without Messing Bottom Of Cake Up

Decorating By makeminepink Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 11:53am by makeminepink

makeminepink Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:32am
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have any tips for putting tiered cakes together without messing up the bottom of the cake--- especially buttercream cakes? I'd love to be able to put a small border instead of needing a bigger one to cover up the mess. Maybe there's something I don't know.

5 replies
prterrell Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:47am
post #2 of 6

Don't touch the cake itself, just the plate/cake circle.

ladyonzlake Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:49am
post #3 of 6

I use IMBC and let it chill so it's hard...no mess up then.

Loucinda Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:54am
post #4 of 6

When you go to stack them, leave your dowels (or straws) up about an inch or so sticking out of the cake. Then carefully set the next tier on top of the straws/dowels and gravity will take it down. NO finger marks.

Sometimes, if it is a small tier (like 6") you may have to help it down - I use the edge of a knife on the edge of the board, no marks at all.

cathyscakes Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:59am
post #5 of 6

You should watch the youtube videos with Edna De la Cruz, she shows after she stacks the cakes together, she pipes a bead of frosting in the gap, and then smooths with a paper towel, you have to use a crusting buttercream though. Just look under stacking wedding cakes.

makeminepink Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 11:53am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone-- I think the chilling would help. It's just so difficult to get a hold on the little plate underneath!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%