I Don't Believe It! They Don't Like Hi-Ratio

Decorating By AKS Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 12:23pm by AKS

AKS Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:55am
post #1 of 10

shortening!!! My mother and both kids told me, separately, with no one else around, that they prefer my old icing to my new icing. Now I am a hobbyist and most of my cakes are for them and my/their friends. The only thing I did differently was substitute the hi-ratio shortening for store brand. THAT WAS THE ONLY THING!! I went to GFS and gave them the elusive code number that Jan H so generously supplied, carried in the 50 lb block by myself, broke it down into 1 1/2 lb tupperware pieces and found room in our downstairs freezer for them. Not only that, I had the pleasure of paying the (comparatively) expensive cost of the hi-ratio to ensure better-tasting icing-AND THEY DON'T LIKE IT!!!! icon_mad.gif Ugh! I guess they're going to have to like at least 44 lbs of it, because that's what I got, and that's what mama's usin'!

9 replies
leah_s Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:06am
post #2 of 10

Hmmmm . . .I've never noticed that hi ratio had any taste at all.

tiggy2 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #3 of 10

So they like the grease on the roof of their mouth............strange.

mygirlssweet Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:21am
post #4 of 10

I must be strange then....I don't like hi-ratio either.

Ruth0209 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:35am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Hmmmm . . .I've never noticed that hi ratio had any taste at all.

You're right. It shouldn't have any taste at all. The only time mine tasted like anything, it was a sweet taste because it was rancid.

I love how creamy it makes my buttercream without the nasty, greasy coating on the roof on my mouth. I love the stuff.

Did your family say what they didn't like?

FlourPots Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:40am
post #6 of 10

Add me to that list...well, it's not that I don't like it, I just saw/tasted/felt absolutely no difference from regular Crisco...with the BC recipes I tested it on (indy's & sugarshack's).

myslady Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:51am
post #7 of 10

How much did you use in your icing

JanH Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:09am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Add me to that list...well, it's not that I don't like it, I just saw/tasted/felt absolutely no difference from regular Crisco...with the BC recipes I tested it on (indy's & sugarshack's).

There is no taste difference between AP shortening and hi-ratio shortening.

There should, however, be performance differences. For instance, some feel that hi-ratio never has that greasy mouth feel that is associated with some AP shortening based b/c's. Additionally, some feel that the resulting frosting is more smooth/not as gritty.

It's only necessary to use 1 cup hi-ratio per 7 cups of powdered sugar, or 2/3 cup hi-ratio for every cup of AP shortening in a Crisco recipe.

Hi-ratio can also absorb MORE liquid than AP shortening without breaking down.

HTH

crumbcake Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:22am
post #9 of 10

Thanks JanH for the measurement I should be using when using HR. Just bought some, and have not tried it yet. I would have used the same amount as AP shortening.

AKS Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:23pm
post #10 of 10

I should say that they don't like the texture. They prefer the heavier, less silky stuff. And yes, I guess they like the greasy mouth feel. What can you do?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%