How Do I Keep This Fresh...

Decorating By sweetooth94 Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 8:17pm by jones5cm

sweetooth94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth94 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:22am
post #1 of 13

wedding cake? I have a bride that requested her wedding cake to look like this - only a gob cake. I personally love the look and the idea...but how do I keep it from drying out since the cake is all exposed? Is there a trick to this because I've seen other wedding cakes like this??
LL

12 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 4:08am
post #2 of 13

Maybe sealing it with strained melted apricot jam?

sweetooth94 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 13

Wouldn't that change the flavor of the gob cake?

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 13

can I ask what a gob cake is? I've never heard that term before?

sweetooth94 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 13

Ah...I forgot this is a "Pennsylvania" thing. Unless you've lived in PA - or know someone who has - people don't know what gobs are. I totally forgot that, sorry!

"Gobs" are actually two chocolate cake/cookies filled with a thick & creamy, cooked icing. They are on our Christmas cookie tray every year (we make mini ones) and are a favorite of my entire family! Chocolate gobs are the most popular, but they can be made in all varieties (like pumpkin with cream cheese icing in the fall). Gob cake is also a very popular dessert around here. Church dinners & potlucks always have at least one!! There isn't any icing on the outside, just two layers of chocolate cake with the cooked filling in between the layers. It would look just like the wedding cake I posted.

I'm just worried that it will dry out because it's exposed. When I make gobs, I individually wrap them or cover a gob cake tightly with plastic wrap. I don't want a wedding cake to dry out.
LL

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 13

ha learn something new everyday! Thanks for the explanation!

lynnfrompa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynnfrompa Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 13

I live in Pa... I've always heard them called whoopie pies, not gobs. Must be the area of the state you live in.

sweetooth94 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 13

I almost said in my previous explanation that they can also be called "whoopie pies". That's what the local Amish/Mennonite community calls them, but I'm in western PA and we've always called them gobs!

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 13

I would suggest making it and after you've constructed each tier, wrap it in plastic wrap. Deliver and set the cake up at the venue so you can keep them all covered until you get them there. I would just try to get there as close to the reception time as I could without running it too close. The exterior might dry out a bit but you should be fine. You should warn the bride though that it will probably be a little bit drier on the outside. That way she doesn't come back after the wedding is over complaining that the cake was dry and she wants her money back.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 13

Would a simple syrup brushed along the outside edges work without changing the taste? I see bakeries doing this to the tops of the cake before filling and stacking. Why not just the sides? Not sure!

sweetooth94 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 13

That may work. I was just worried that the apricot glaze would flavor the chocolate cake. Simple syrup wouldn't it would just make it shiny.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:03pm
post #12 of 13

You should be able to wrap saran around the whole thing after it's set up since ther is no icing on the outside.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:17pm
post #13 of 13

I did a wedding cake simular to this last summer (it's the first one I posted here on CC in my photos); but it was fresh apple cake and did not dry out at all. I had tested the recipe prior to the actual wedding baking...maybe you could do a test baking too and figure out the best way to keep it moist/fresh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%