Bubble Tea Straws???????????

Decorating By apetricek Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 3:08am by Jaime3679

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 16

Hey I was watching Ace of Cakes the other night....haven't watched it in sometime..anyway I saw that they use bubble tea or thick straws as their supports.....Obviously they are strong enough to hold the tiers...just wondered if anyone has actually used them, and what do you think. I was going to order some, but didn't know if it was worth the money. I currently use wooden dowels, and have had no problems, but if they are cheaper I am willing to save some $$$..thanks!

15 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 16

I get mine from ebay and use them in every single tiered cake I do.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 16

I've used them as well and like Jamm, got them on ebay pretty cheap.

CakesbyCristina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCristina Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 16

I reently started buying them at the local Asian market. 1.59 for a pack of 50. You can buy them on Ebay and Amazon as well.

eme926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eme926 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 16

Arby's has nice big strong straws and the manager sold me a bag of 500 for .01 each. They're perfect for caking.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 16

I started using them five years ago when I started doing cakes. Picked them up at Restaurant Depot for around $6 for a bag of 500. Purchased two bags back then and still haven't used all of them. (I only do cakes as a hobby and only about 4 wedding cakes a year for friends.)

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:40am
post #7 of 16

I used them with no problem at all last weekend. So much better than cutting wooden dowels!!! Seems like a more sanitary method too - but maybe that's more opinion than fact. I just buy mine from the asian grocery store in town.

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:26am
post #8 of 16

Another bubble tea straw user here. I ordered them online (boba maybe) but I'll probably scout out the local Asian markets next time I need them.

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #9 of 16

Get mine on ebay as well - they are so simple to use and yes, they seem more sanitary to me as well.

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:48am
post #10 of 16

Get mine on ebay as well - they are so simple to use and yes, they seem more sanitary to me as well.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:50am
post #11 of 16

yep, got mine of Amazon. I use them for all small tiered cakes. Bigger ones get stress free supports.
Bubble tea are great because they're pretty sturdy, easy to cut, and unlike the dowels, they don't really displace cake, so it makes the structure much more sound.

cakesbyk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyk2 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:08am
post #12 of 16

They are the best. I was using wooden dowels until I saw somewhere that they were being used and they are all I use anymore.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:23am
post #13 of 16

Kids love to "suck" the cake out of the end of the straws. I agree with the comment about straws being food safe. Where do you buy dowels? Do you sanitize them before inserting them? My problem with dowels, is the need to drag out the saw and then sand them. Just use scissors for the straws.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 2:34am
post #14 of 16

I love bubble tea straws and use them all the time as I usually make two tier cakes. I have also used them with three tier and have had no problems at all. Sugar Shack uses them and shows you how to use them in her stacking DVD.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 2:50am
post #15 of 16

Same here. On party cakes three tier or less, I always use them. Wedding cakes get SPS. No exceptions. There is an Asian grocery store about 20 minutes from here where I can get 50 for .99 cents. Highly recommend them as they are already food-safe and easy to cut.

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:08am
post #16 of 16

What is SPS?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%