Fondant Flowers On A Buttercream Iced Cake?

Decorating By Julie_S Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 9:44pm by mandysue

Julie_S Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 9

Will they stick?
Do I have to wait until the buttercream crusts and then put a little bit of water on the flowers and then stick them to the cake?

Thank you for any advice you can give

Julie

8 replies
jammjenks Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 9

If the flowers aren't heavy, you can use water to attach.

If they are heavy, you can use candy melts to attach.

At least that's what I use. I do it all the time.

SandiOh Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 9

I have. I Usually try to let the fondant decorations dry a little bit first, and I let the buttercream crust. I add to cake with a dab of buttercream

Mug-a-Bug Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 9

I'm always amazed at the holding power of a dab of buttercream. It should be all you need. If you're using heavy flowers on the side of the cake I would use toothpicks or possibly RI to attach.

Julie_S Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks all for you replies!
Julie

iamcakin Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 9

I just used a tiny dot of butter-cream to hold these on. They weren't very heavy, but didn't need any other support at all.
HTH
LL
LL

jammjenks Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 9

I use bc if the flowers will be placed at the bottom border. Anything higher and I use candy melts if they aren't lightweight.

cindiluwho Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

I'm always amazed at the holding power of a dab of buttercream. It should be all you need. If you're using heavy flowers on the side of the cake I would use toothpicks or possibly RI to attach.

Very Beautiful cake!!! Did you use RI to attach the Lilies in the picture?

mandysue Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 9

OK-what's the trick to the flowers not softening and losing their shape? Every time I put gumpaste or fondant flowers on buttercream, they eventually get soft and lose their shape. Any tips for me?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%