Combination Stand For Cupcakes And Normal Layer Cakes

Decorating By jdconcc Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 12:47am by anasazi17

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 4

One of my brides would like a cake based loosely on this one, it's the shape she is after, the alternating layers of normal cake and cupcakes. I was wondering if anyone knows how this one may be constructed?

I'm thinking it was probably custom made and I could maybe do it by dowelling the first cake and then using three tiers of my perspex cupcake stand and then dowelling the next cake and so on, but if anyone has any better ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks so much
Claire
LL

3 replies
anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 4

Hello! I recently made a cake with this same concept. I found 2 different ways to do it; The first way is very simple and cost effective and could be used depending on the size you need. I used cake drums and fondant wrapped dummies (6") and stacked them, then drove a dowel thru the entire cake. I had to assemble it all on site...it is the dinosaur cake in my photos. Another way my husband helped with by using PVC pipe and couplers (all the supplies are available in the hardware store). I haven't used this method for a cake/cupcake combo but I am sure you could. The thing I like about the dummie/cake drum option is that is is pretty sturdy and you can easily match it to your design.

I hope this helps!! Good luck!

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks that sounds just what I need. I love this website icon_smile.gif It's not until March next year, we're just going through the initial stages now but I will post pictures when it's done. I'm leaning towards the dummy cake I love the way it would be so sturdy.

Thanks again x

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #4 of 4

This site is the best! Good luck...it is such a cool cake concept, I can't wait to see the pictures!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%