Americolor Mixing Questions ~

Decorating By kellertur Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 10:48pm by TexasSugar

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 6

I just received my new Americolor gel colors today. I previously used Wilton which leaked all over everything. I hate those W bottles...so messy.

How exactly to you use Americolors? I have a mixing chart which only states: "mix colored icing to colored icing". icon_confused.gif Do you ever use it directly on the icing? That statement confused me a bit...

Does a little go a long way, like a drop a time sort of thing?

Thanks.

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 6

Yes...exactly..A little does go a long way so try it out a drop at a time and pretty soon you will get the hang of just how much you need.Don't worry about getting a bit of icing on the top as it won't harden like wilton.Just wipe off!!!

kellertur Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you, and what do you mean by icing on the top and hardening? I must be missing the obvious...

So, can you use it directly on the icing? If I want to mix different colors to create a new color, how do you do that? In a dish then pour over icing? icon_confused.gif That just sounded weird to me?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 6

Well....If you accidently touch the top of a wilton container the paste automatically will begin to harden from the grease coming in contact.Americolor does not do this!You mix each color in a seperate container and then go from there.Don't put it right on the cake.You color your icing the same as if using wilton brand you jsut don't have the mess etc..You squirt the color right out of the bottle.

kellertur Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 6

I think when they say "mix colored icing to colored icing" they are refering to if you were blending or mixing colors to from another color. Such as mix red buttercream with yellow buttercream to make orange buttercream, rather than adding in drops of each color in to the same buttercream and just stiring.

Does that make more sense?

If you are just making yellow buttercream then just add the yellow color to your white buttercraem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%