Nfsc Has Failed Me

Baking By krm52200 Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 1:10pm by blueman

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 10

I have made NFSC many, many times and never had an issue. Today I have to make 50 cross shaped cookies. I followed the same method I always do and the first two batches spread like mad!!! They look like short, fat crosses. I'm beyond upset and have no idea why this is happening. So I'm turning to the experts. Anyone have any ideas?!?

TIA!

Kelly

9 replies
ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 10

could the dough have been to warm, not chilled? not enough flour in the dough? I have never had luck with NFSC... if fails me every time...

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 10

awww... how frustrating! Sorry that happened to you!!

did you measure the flour the same way? use the same kind of flour? use the same brand of butter? use the same size eggs? Is it raining where you are today?

I find that recipe to be absolutely wonderful ... unless I do something differently (user error). On humid days, I always keep mine in the fridge for at least 2 hours before baking... I find that cold cookie sheets helps it keep its shape, too.

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 10

I weigh my flour for consistent results -- depending how you scoop or fill your measuring cup, or even how settled the flour is in the container can really affect it.

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for all the replies. I really don't know what is going on. I did everything the exact same way I have countless times before. But now I have to regroup and figure out how to fix this! I'm hesitant to make another batch since I would just be using all the same ingredients all over again. I'm thinking of making rectangular shaped cookies and piping the cross on top of them. Not sure what else to do at this point.

paintinggrams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintinggrams Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:44am
post #6 of 10

I freeze my cookies for at least fifteen minutes before baking. If I freeze them overnight I take them out put them on a cookie sheet and leave them out for fiteen minutes. Hope that helps

emilyc262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyc262 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:23am
post #7 of 10

This happened to me when I used a different brand of flour. You could eliminate the baking powder if you want to try again. Or recut them as soon as they come out of the oven.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:37am
post #8 of 10

Can you re-cut the baked cookies with the cutter at all?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:33am
post #9 of 10

Could your baking powder have been old/expired or been exposed to air/moisture during storage??

I know that I worry about that component when I haven't made cookies in awhile.

Just a thought.
Rae

blueman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueman Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 10

I too, had the same problem. I had 70 4" lily cookies to make for a shower. I had practiced 3 times prior to the final cookies. The practice cookies turned out great. Held up their shape well, no spreading
With the final cookies for the shower, I did everything just so precise, because I didn't want any problems. I made 6 batches of NFSC dough, and did everything the same way as my practice cookies, but each batch spread. It was a big cookie to begin with, but with the spreading, they were enormous. I had to use them because of time restraints. After icing and decorating, bagged and tagged, they still looked good, but I was disappointed.
ONE THING that I did differently. I used unsalted butter instead of salted butter. That's the only difference, so from now on I will go back to salted butter and omit the salt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%