How To Make A Custom Designed Cookie

Baking By stephilde Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 2:33am by stephilde

stephilde Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 9

So My sister is graduating from the University of Florida next week and i really want to make some gator head cookies but have no clue where to start. I have an egg shaped cookie cutter and was thinking maybe I could Use royal icing to try to draw the gator deisgn and colors on the cookie. Is there a way to make a template or something with an picture and use that as a guideline? Is this even possible or too detailed? I have never decorated cookies before but have always wanted to and figured this was a good way to start. Is royal icing the best way to accomplish this? I was thinking about rolled buttercream or mmf but i dont think it would be possible to do all the shaped and colors, is it? i dont know if my art skills are good enough to pull off drawing the pic off without some help. I was thinking i could try to do similar to the pin prick method make a pic on wax paper and poke holes in it. then put that pic over the baked cookie and draw over the holes with an edible marker. that way i will have some guideline to follow. do you think that would work?

Heres the logo I am doing.. .

8 replies
ShanB Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 9

there are some ideas in this thread

you could do a royal icing transfer / colour flow idea too.[/url]

cindy58 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 9

This is my favorite alligator cookie cutter, it's quite detailed and the head and teeth resemble your logo, I think.

I'm a fan of Hammer Song cutters. My tip for working with this type of cutters is to NOT chill the dough before cutting, I mix, roll and cut, and then refrigerate them until they're good and firm before baking. I roll the dough between a long folded over piece of wax paper, lift the top piece and very lightly flour. Dip the cutter in flour, shake off excess and cut. By not flouring the bottom of the dough piece or lifting it away from the wax paper before cutting, that bit of stickiness helps the dough to stay on the wax paper and not stick in the cutter. (If the dough is too cold, it is more likely to break off at design points and stick in the cutter.) Then I just pull the wax paper from the back and let the cookie fall into my hand, and place it on the parchment to bake.

If you wanted to go with just the head shape, you could use your egg shape and then an alligator cutter to imprint a design that you could follow. (So even if you have a full alligator cutter, by holding it just so, you could imprint just the portion of the shape you want.)

Definitely try some practice cookies before your deadline.

GeminiRJ Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 9

If you don't want to use RI or colorflow, you could do the design in melted CandyMelts or similar confectionery coating. Draw your design to the size you want it and then flip it over. Copy this numerous times and tape to a sheet of paper, leaving plenty of room between the designs. Cover with a sheet of waxed paper. Melt your candy and place in decorator bags. Use a small tip, maybe a #2, and pipe the color onto the design. Think paint-by-number! When they've hardened (won't take long), peel them off the waxed paper. (I slide the paper to the side of the table, then pull down at a 90 degree angle, towards the floor. Be sure to support the design as it peels off the paper) "Glue" them onto your cookie some melted candy. If you want to outline the design, you can use RI or thickend glace.

kneadacookie Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:39am
post #5 of 9

if you just print off the photo of the gator, you can cut up the photo into pieces and use a toothpick to punch tiny holes to mark off areas for piping.

this picture is really bad. I didn't re-outline the cookie which I always do. I think I had run out of time(or energy).

stephilde Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:37am
post #6 of 9

kneadacookie- wow thats exaclty my cookie! Or at least what i hope it ends up looking like. icon_biggrin.gif I am glad you said i could use a toothpick becuase thats pretty much the route i was going to end up going. No one said if it would work though.

I defintiely think royal icing is the only icing that will acheive this look. Although the candy melt thing mentioned sounds interesting it also sounded kind of complicated.

Thanks so much for all the replies! I am going to be working on these early next week and have been really nervous. i have never decorated a cookie before and i think this one is a little ambitious for a first try. hopefully they come out good!

KHalstead Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 9

Here is an idea of the candy melt thing.

i colored my white candy melts all the different colors I needed (or you could by precolored ones) and then put the photo I was copying underneath waxed paper. I kept my piping bags with the melts on a heating pad so they stayed melted and warm for hours on end while I was working.

Basically I just traced the photo with black candy melts and filled in with the colors, treating it like a fbct, let them set up for 10 min. and peeled off the wax paper, then I flooded my cookie with melted chocolate and set the "transfer" into the chocolate and nestled it in so it wound up flat with the rest of the chocolate.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo simple, and the lady that ordered them was very impressed at how "similar" each cookie looked even though they were "hand-decorated" lol

GeminiRJ Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 9

Those cookies are adorable! You're definitely the one I'll go to if I have questions about this technique!

stephilde Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 2:33am
post #9 of 9

ok, now i get the candy melt way. I guess i needed a picture and reread what you and pp wrote. actually doesnt soud too hard at all. if it doesnt work out like i wanted it to i will try this out. i think i have some candy melts hanging around here.thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%