How Do I Cover Pillow Cakes In Fondant?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 24 May 2010 , 9:58pm by SMHoff

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 6 I have seen the new Wilton pillows pans out and am considering buying them.It looks like you bake 2 cakes and sandwich them together to get a 3D Pillow...

So do I cover the whole cake at once or can I cover each half and sort of glue together and use fondant banding etc to cover the seam..

What would be the best way??

5 replies
linstead Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 6

Haven't seen those pans yet - will have to check them out. I usually just carve one cake into a pillow shape and cover the whole thing with fondant but doing each half is probably easier and then you can cover the split with cording.

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks linstead..I have seen the pans on ebay..they are new for 2010...I think I will get them!

SMHoff Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 6

I just bought the pillow pan set a week ago and just made the small atop the medium for a Sweet 16 Birthday this weekend (delivered today)

I covered the bottom layer first, left a thin edge to fold up and over the edge of the pillow just like a sewing seam. Put in a layer of buttercream filling, covered the top layer (after using the Floral Fantasy mat) and did the same edge return and set it on top of the base.
Went back over the tops of both pillows and filled in all the details of the pattern with buttercream in bright colors, then added fondant rope and tassels. Turned out very good for a first time run with them.
Will be using the small pan to make a "dog bed" for an upcoming "Dog Wedding" LOL (making fondant dogs to lay in the middle)

I say go get them and if you have a Michael's crafts near you just use a coupon! I got my set for $22, totally worth it, lots of ideas for them icon_smile.gif
Good luck!

linstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 6

Since I wrote my reply above I bought the new Wilton pans too - Michaels in San Diego not yet carrying them but I bought on ebay for around $40. Three sizes - only issue I see is that you have to back twice in order to get both halves of the full pillow.

SMHoff Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 6

Yes the baking twice thing is a little time consuming but we baked them both at the same time and didn't have any issues. I will most likely bake the large pillow alone though.
OH and as a little note, the measurements of Cups of batter are off on the paper that comes with the pans.
They each only take about 1/2 as much as the chart states.
small = about 6 cups for 1 whole pillow
med = maybe 10 cups, 1 whole pillow
large = didn't make but am assuming it will take about 19 cups

Bummer your Michaels didn't have them yet. Ours had just gotten them in, I had been checking and when I finally saw them I snatched them like a starving dog would a bone LOL

Hope you have fun with yours icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%