Quick 50/50 Fondant/gumpaste Question

Decorating By Debi2 Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 3:00am by casme

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 6

This is my first time using the 50/50 mix and I know from past experience that you cannot put gumpaste directly on buttercream because it will go soft. However, you can put fondant on buttercream. So....can I put the 50/50 mix on buttercream and have it hold up? Thanks so much!

Debi

5 replies
Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:32am
post #2 of 6

I have never had a problem with 50/50 not holding up on buttercream. I have had problems with my MMF being too soft and things losing thier shpe, using the 50/50 helped with that.

Debi2 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 5:19am
post #3 of 6

Thank so much Melchas! I will give it a try icon_smile.gif

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 6

I have just the opposite experience. Fondant always wilts on my buttercream. I f I make things out of gumpaste and let them dry I have never had them go soft on my buttercream even if I put them in the fridge overnight. Just my experience.

Debi2 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:43am
post #5 of 6

I wonder if I hadn't let my gumpaste dry long enough? I only dried mine (tiny flowers) for about 18 hours. Casme, how long did you allow yours to dry? I love that you were able to even put yours in the fridge!

What kind of fondant and gumpaste combo are you all using?

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:00am
post #6 of 6

I usually let them dry on a styrofoam board for 24 hours at least. I use the wilton gumpaste and do not add fondant, just some crisco on my hands and the ball before rolling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%