Have You Noticed

Business By Enchantedcakes Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm by sarah5008

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 20

Have any of you noticed the number of brides who want free cake tastings for small wedding cakes. I just had two different brides wanting wedding cakes with only 40-60 servings that want cake tastings. When I explained our policy about cake tastings are $25.00 they seemed shocked that I would charge them for a tasting. We do offer free tastings for larger events I told them. If the order will have over 75 servings the tasting is free. I know we are in a recession but everything in life is not free. Sorry just had to vent.

19 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 20

I work at a grocery store bakery and I get people like that all the time. You'd be amazed what people expect just because they are shopping there.

True story: A lady was getting cake for 70 people. I said she'd want to go with our full sheet cake, it serves 72-96. She asked the price, which was $34.87. She shook her head, no "that's too expensive for cake". I just said it's the cheapest price in town, the only way you could beat it is to make it yourself. (and even that's questionable.)

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 20

No kidding. A cake for 70 people would cost at least $34.00 to make. These people buy groceries so they have to know the COST of making a cake icon_confused.gif Why is it that people seem suprised that cake cost what it does?

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 20

I did not even have a cake tasting when I got married, I just went to a local bakery and ordered the cake that I wanted. I understand that this is their special day in all but my time is also special. My mother started our business years ago in Illinois and she said brides never used to ask for free tastings. Now I get at least two e-mails a week asking for free tastings, I had two today for weddings in March of next year.

davespeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davespeg Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

No kidding. A cake for 70 people would cost at least $34.00 to make. These people buy groceries so they have to know the COST of making a cake icon_confused.gif Why is it that people seem suprised that cake cost what it does?

Because people think you can make a sheet cake for 70 people out of a $.99 box of Duncan Hines cake mix, that is,if you catch DH on sale. icon_confused.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:10am
post #6 of 20

When I got married I actually declined a cake tasting. I told my baker that I trusted her. She made me the BEST Ammeretto cake that I have ever had in my entire life.

Still cant replicate it...

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:23am
post #7 of 20

i spent some time on the wedding forums last year when my friend was getting married and its absolutely insane what you see some of the brides were obesssing about. im talking 2 or 3 dresses, $800+ shoes, thousands of $K on invites & stationary, desitnation weddings that would cost a guest thousands to attend and yeah, numerous cake testing was big too

i was glad when my bride assistant duties (im too old to be a BM) came to an end because i use to get SO agitated going to that site.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:37am
post #8 of 20

Yes. I told a bride who wanted 50 servings that I don't do free servings for orders under $150. She could pay $25 for one if she wanted. She said she'd taste a few other cakes and get back to me. She didn't. I'm not sorry. I haven't even done that many tastings and I already kind of hate them.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:14am
post #9 of 20

I vary the number of flavors I offer at a tasting by the expected sizr of the order. For a wedding cake of 50 servings or less, they only get to taste ONE flavor. 50-75/100, 2 flavors, more than 100 servings, 3 flavors.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:44am
post #10 of 20

I'm not sure I even met my bakers! We were getting married in our college town, a year after we graduated and moved. The local wedding shop recommended a duo- one had a new kitchen her hubby built for them to do cakes. Truthfully, I could not have told you what my cake looked like until I looked thru my album recently after I started decorating. 26.5 years later, a lot of other things have been a whole lot more important in my life!!!!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:01am
post #11 of 20

I do think the tasting idea is getting out of hand.

I generally oblige...I offer two choices...a free "chef's choice" one (which is basically any leftovers I have in the fridge and freezer...or whatever I'm already baking that week...so no money lost on my part) or a $25 one where they choose three flavors and fillings (and then I just hope they pick something I'm already baking haha).

So far I think it works out well because it pretty much pleases everyone. Except a few days ago I declined to travel closer to a customer for a tasting...lost that one...can't win 'em all, I guess!

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:06am
post #12 of 20

LMBO..... it is so funny that you are bringing this up now, because I JUST go this e-mail a couple days ago....

"I was wondering, before we schedule a tasting, if you do cakes for VERY small weddings (12 people) and what the cost might be for a cake that small.

Also, the matron of honor has a severe coconut allergy, and coconut products or those that come from coconut are common in baked goods. Are you able to ensure that she would be able to eat the cake?

Thanks so much!
"

I didn't know if I wanted to laugh or cry! icon_confused.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:21pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecookieladycc

I was wondering, before we schedule a tasting, if you do cakes for VERY small weddings (12 people) and what the cost might be for a cake that small.

12 people??? That's not a wedding, that's a dinner party! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, I'm just joking. I'm sure it'll be a very lovely wedding.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:40pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecookieladycc

I was wondering, before we schedule a tasting, if you do cakes for VERY small weddings (12 people) and what the cost might be for a cake that small.

12 people??? That's not a wedding, that's a dinner party! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, I'm just joking. I'm sure it'll be a very lovely wedding.

LOL, I can see the wedding cake now.... a very lovely 6" round cake. icon_biggrin.gif
Puts new meaning to an "intimate" wedding!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:45pm
post #15 of 20

Tastings are definitely out of hand. I thought about offering a discount if they didn't do one. LOL!!

I am tired of the shopping around bit, they are wasting my time and it's irritating. Granted most that come in book but the looky-lou's are what get to me.

No one around me charges so I hesitate to implement that. I already struggle a bit being the new person with a home based biz.

12 people, sheesh!! No one said a wedding had to be large but a tasting for an 8" cake? icon_rolleyes.gif
Nice that we can all vent but too bad there is no solution. We just have to deal with it for the most part.

cerasmiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerasmiles Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #16 of 20

I recently got married in Oct. 2009 in chicago...I also had a very small wedding of 12 people as my entire family lives in california. We went to a nice bakery in downtown chicago to order an 8" cake, but there was no way I was about to ask for a cake tasting. It just didnt make an sense to ask for one. it was simple. Chocolate cake with a white buttercream. Really? how hard can that be? I just dont understand people.They dont seem to understand all the work that goes into a cake

Alligande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alligande Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 11:57pm
post #17 of 20

I regard cake tastings as a cost of selling a cake, I do get a annoyed if I discover it is for a small wedding, but without the tasting I would not be getting the booking. Everyone in this are offers tastings, what annoys me is that the caterers don't.

aimxee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimxee Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:06am
post #18 of 20

recently i just had a cake order for a 9 inch cake, they requested a tasting and I complied, but they expected me to deliever it which i could not do (nor did i want to do) but they eventully decided on a chocoalte cake with cream cheese frosting without tasting it. After recieving the cake, now they want a tasting because they "gave the cake away and did not get to taste it." Some people just drive me slightly insane

aimxee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimxee Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:45am
post #19 of 20

recently i just had a cake order for a 9 inch cake, they requested a tasting and I complied, but they expected me to deliever it which i could not do (nor did i want to do) but they eventully decided on a chocoalte cake with cream cheese frosting without tasting it. After recieving the cake, now they want a tasting because they "gave the cake away and did not get to taste it." Some people just drive me slightly insane

sarah5008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah5008 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm
post #20 of 20

I'm currently planning my wedding and you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that you read on wedding websites and/or magazines. They are telling brides to ask for this stuff for free, or telling to the strike a deal with the baker that if they allow the baker to put out business cards or advertising on the cake table then they can get a discount or wholesale price on the cake!! I thought that was crazy!

Thankfully I don't have to do either icon_wink.gif I will be making my cake topper decorations out of gumpaste and my Aunt (who has been decorating for over 20 years) will bake, frost and assemble. YEA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%