Gumpaste Sunflowers - Help

Decorating By msulli10 Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 12:45am by anasazi17

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make gumpaste Sunflowers for a large picnic basket cake. I have the daisy cutter but I don't feel like these really look like sunflowers (they are great for daisies). I can't find a tutorial anywhere. I am even willing to buy them premade and can't find anything that looks real enough.
Anyway have any suggestions.

7 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 8

are you putting them on a wire of just to lay on cake.? that will help to know that.

msulli10 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 8

icer101 - I want to put them on wires.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 8

ok, been looking for a tutorial on line. came up with going on cakesbydesigncc.com(scott woolley). he has 15 free tutorials on his site. you see this when you click on cutters. there is a gerba daisy tutorial. do like he says . using brown paste for the middle . then do the petals as he say. is your daisy cutter pretty large. i have a sunflowers cutter and i use nick lodges instructions partially. i have to adjust that one also.scott tells you to stretch and widen these petals. do you know what i mean. you hold the g/p petal down with you finger and take the ball tool and gently push from center to end and back and forth from side to side to widen the petal. so there you would have a larger petal. then the brown part make just a little bigger for the sunflower than you would for the gerba. making it look sorta rough looking . then when dry. color some cornmean brown and wet brown center and put this brown cornmeal on to resemble pollen.if you use sorta golden yellow for petals. after they dry, then dust litely with touch of orange on edges . i will look very real and pretty. i hope i have helped you. also don,t forget to mark with the tool on the petals.

msulli10 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 8

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 8

I just did what felt like a million of these yesterday!! icer101 is right on! I purchased the gerbera daisy set from GSA...then used my ball tool to make the petals bigger and a little fatter! It worked great!

msulli10 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 8

anasazi17 - what size gerbera daisy set is it? I'm looking to make large sunflowers.

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:45am
post #8 of 8

I purchased the set of 4 the GSA product ID is #19208. Its title is Gerbera Daisy Cutters (FV-200). The largest is 3" in diameter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%