Question About Which Cake Sizes To Use?

Decorating By young9 Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 5:38pm by leah_s

young9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
young9 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 5

hi everyone, i was just contacted about making a cake for my stepdaughters' mothers wedding. since she is a friend i'll be doing this for her wedding gift and she has given me total reign over the design/flavors.

the only thing requested is that is a 3 tier cake and serves 150.

i've only done one other wedding cake for another friend and she told me the exact sizes for everything so i really have no idea what sizes would look best and serve that many.
thanks!

4 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 5

Here is a calculator based on the Wilton serving charts if you want to play with the numbers:

http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 5

Earlene's chart is also very helpful, and a little more generous in servings than Wilton's...it also has combinations of sizes with the number of servings, which sounds like what you might need.
http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

HTH! Good luck!

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 5

I checked out both charts...Is it just me or is a 6" cake serving 12 people just a little crazy? IMO, it seems like it would be a stretch to serve 8 people. I have been struggling to determine my serving sizes for a long time. I prefer Earlene's chart over most of them.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 5

A 6" easily serves 12-14. But you don't cut round cakes in wedges - you make straight cuts.

The Wilton charts are absolutely the best to use. They provide ample servings in the standard 8 cubic inches of cake.

Earlene's charts cause you to bake to much cake and if you're selling, those charts will make you lose money. Not cool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%