Question About Which Cake Sizes To Use?

Decorating By young9 Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 5:38pm by leah_s

young9 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 5

hi everyone, i was just contacted about making a cake for my stepdaughters' mothers wedding. since she is a friend i'll be doing this for her wedding gift and she has given me total reign over the design/flavors.

the only thing requested is that is a 3 tier cake and serves 150.

i've only done one other wedding cake for another friend and she told me the exact sizes for everything so i really have no idea what sizes would look best and serve that many.

4 replies
metria Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 5

Here is a calculator based on the Wilton serving charts if you want to play with the numbers:

djs328 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 5

Earlene's chart is also very helpful, and a little more generous in servings than Wilton' also has combinations of sizes with the number of servings, which sounds like what you might need.

HTH! Good luck!

Tracy7953 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 5

I checked out both charts...Is it just me or is a 6" cake serving 12 people just a little crazy? IMO, it seems like it would be a stretch to serve 8 people. I have been struggling to determine my serving sizes for a long time. I prefer Earlene's chart over most of them.

leah_s Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 5

A 6" easily serves 12-14. But you don't cut round cakes in wedges - you make straight cuts.

The Wilton charts are absolutely the best to use. They provide ample servings in the standard 8 cubic inches of cake.

Earlene's charts cause you to bake to much cake and if you're selling, those charts will make you lose money. Not cool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%