Wasc Was Dry For First Time Ever

Baking By tonimarie Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 2:45pm by tonimarie

tonimarie Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 4

I have been using the WASC recipe for years, and have never had a dry cake before........I usually make 8 or 9 inch cakes, and last weekend I made an 11X15 sheet cake and it was dry. I cooked it at 325 and didn't use a flower nail. Do I need to cook it at a lower temp? the outside was very brown, almost to the point I really should have shaved some of it off, but it took forever to get the center done. any thoughts?

3 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 4

I would have used a nail for that size. In fact, I'm considering starting to use nails for 10 inch cakes.

kakeladi Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 4

I *NEVER* bake at 350 icon_sad.gif Never more than 325 but usually at 300. Yes, it does take a bit longer but it won't get brown and will be moist, level and sooo tasty icon_smile.gif
I do not use flower nails. No need to. It *might* help some, but really I have baked for over 30 yrs w/o using any and haven't had a problem. I don't seen any need to start now icon_smile.gif
It sounds to me more like your oven might be off temp. Have you had it checked? Do you use a thermometer inside? I really think most of the time when a cake is browned and dry it is due to oven problems rather than actual baking problems.

tonimarie Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 4

thank you! I'll try to lower the temp. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%